Hack - Enable Custom Fields in Search

18 years 3 months ago #4361 by TheVance
Replied by TheVance on topic Re:Hack - Enable Custom Fields in Search
Seek and you shall find. After using my brain, the implementation is very simple. Go to your field manager and if you set everything up correctly, you should notice a column titled Search. By changing the status to the green check mark (or the int value to 1), you can then search for those keywords on the users list page. Hope this helps.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 3 months ago #4392 by JoomlaJoe
Replied by JoomlaJoe on topic Re:Hack - Enable Custom Fields in Search
Hi All,

First a word of caution. Altering the core cb tables is completely done at your own risk and may cause upgrades to future versions of CB to fail. Please make a note to yourself about such changes to that in the event that you incur a problem you will know how to reverse these changes. I only say this because there is a high probablity that a field called "search" could be added to that table at sometime in the future.

As for inclusion into the core. We are well aware that we need a good search and we have been investigating it and it is currently on our plan for our next release after 1.0 Stable. As with all CB functionality we are planning to over a lot of control and flexibility to you the Joomlapotian admin's of the world. :woohoo:

JoomlaJoe *The developer formally known as MamboJoe*
CB Core Team

18 years 3 months ago #4404 by rg66
Replied by rg66 on topic Re:Hack - Enable Custom Fields in Search
Thanks for the caution.

I am aware that altering the tables might cause in the future problems, if the CB Team decides to alter the tables as well. I am also aware that updating my CB version with a new one might bring some problems.

If the next CB or a patch upgrade release does not have the search enabled or has incorportaed something which will disable the hack, I will try my best to release a patch to make CB work again.

I just could not wait and wanted to enable by alumni's to have a better search capability.

Do not forget we are using an Open Source CMS and one got easily bring out new patches and release much faster including more developers.

18 years 3 months ago #4691 by djsdjs
Replied by djsdjs on topic Re:Hack - Enable Custom Fields in Search
I would rather not alter the database structure - although I don't mind hacking the code files. Would it be possible to have an implementation of this that just takes the list of searchable fields as a variable in comprofiler.php ? This would help me manage the hack when future releases come out because I could run standard upgrade processes and then cut the hack over again. I VERY MUCH like the configurability via the admin interface AFTER it has been added to the core.

Thanks,
D.

18 years 3 months ago #5265 by raeldc
Replied by raeldc on topic Re:Hack - Enable Custom Fields in Search
Thank you Robert for your great hack!!! It has really been very useful.

There's just 1 Problem that I easily fixed, the Query uses `jos_comprofiler_fields` where it should be #__comprofiler_fields to accomodate tables that has customized prefix. Anyway, it can easily be fixed!

I'll upload the file anyway for people who doesn't wanna mess with the code. This is the file for the frontend.

Attachment 6ce1dc9449708246c495c35cd1ae2318. not found

Attachments:

18 years 3 months ago #5351 by chac416
Replied by chac416 on topic Re:Hack - Enable Custom Fields in Search
so i installed this script and everything seem to be working fine from backend,,,
now how to i make it work on the frontend , whats the link url that i should use ?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn