Hack - Enable Custom Fields in Search

18 years 3 months ago #5478 by achintya
Replied by achintya on topic Re:Hack - Enable Custom Fields in Search
Hi

I found this too... had to set up a default list, the search component doesn't seem to work on core CB search fields unless a list is set up and published, and then permissions open to just about everyone.

I am also finding that the same search term placed in different search fields gives the same result, regardless of which field it is in. Almost like every field is sometimes a 'search all' field?

If this component overrides the ability to specify which fields registered and non-registered users can search by and view, seems to defeat the object?

But it's a start and many thanks for all the efforts at getting this much needed component on the road.

ac

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 3 months ago #5479 by achintya
Replied by achintya on topic Re:Hack - Enable Custom Fields in Search
Hi

I found this too... had to set up a default list, the search component doesn't seem to work on core CB search fields unless a list is set up and published, and then permissions open to just about everyone.

I am also finding that the same search term placed in different search fields gives the same result, regardless of which field it is in. Almost like every field is sometimes a 'search all' field?

If this component overrides the ability to specify which fields registered and non-registered users can search by and view, seems to defeat the object?

But it's a start and many thanks for all the efforts at getting this much needed component on the road.

ac

18 years 3 months ago #5481 by achintya
Replied by achintya on topic another problem with advanced search component
Hi

It's so FRUSTRATING!! This is a great component but keeps throwing up probs - ?

I notice that if "List All" is used, the Advanced Search option no longer appears? To get it back you have to refresh the original User List screen. It won't appear after displaying all users.

achintya

18 years 3 months ago #5483 by rg66
achintya,

the beginning is always the hard part! of course I was aware that there will be many issues coming up (was hoping that there will not be too many). I can hardly test all these out. I tried to keep as much of the original CB code as possible and that might be the biggest issue.

I took the easy way out and have linked "All users" back to the CB component. Once you click on that you will not be in the search component. Will put this on my todo to change it.

With every small change the component will get better and better.

Thanks for pointing the bugs out. I will try to collect all bugs and slowly try to solve them.

Robert

18 years 3 months ago #5484 by achintya
Much appreciated Robert, it is nearly there... but I worry that the search seems to require over-riding of access permissions in order to work? It needs to obey CB access permissions I think otherwise people will be able to view unauthorised data?

thanks for all your efforts...

achintya

rg66 wrote:

achintya,

the beginning is always the hard part! of course I was aware that there will be many issues coming up (was hoping that there will not be too many). I can hardly test all these out. I tried to keep as much of the original CB code as possible and that might be the biggest issue.

I took the easy way out and have linked "All users" back to the CB component. Once you click on that you will not be in the search component. Will put this on my todo to change it.

With every small change the component will get better and better.

Thanks for pointing the bugs out. I will try to collect all bugs and slowly try to solve them.

Robert

18 years 3 months ago #5649 by MadNights
Great Component Robert! One of the things that I have noticed is an error when using SEF programs. I turn SEF off, no problem, so I assume, it's being generated by one of the SEF programs.

The error is:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/httpd/vhosts/madnights.com/httpdocs/components/com_cb_search/cb_search.html.php on line 238

Also, another idea for you, would to somehow integrate an option to limit results only to users with a picture or not, which would then see if the avatar was null of not, and further restrict the results.

Great work!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.429 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn