Connections functinality that does not exist so far...

1 year 4 months ago #331688 by liaskas
Hello
Thank you all for the great job you are doing here and the out of the box solutions you provide!

I use CB for more than ten years and i am very pleased with it's functionalities. Of course each usecase may have special demands, but even if there are, the support team is always there to provide solutions.

We do have a special demand for a project now and i know that it is not covered so far by CB. This special demand is related to connections.

It would be great if each user had the option to create his own connection types. This way, in combination with PMS each user would be able to create his own contact lists, something that is a must have for intranets, business communities etc.

Maybe this could be an extra plugin...

If i remember correct, uddeim had this option by default.

I would like to read other opinions regarding this.

Thank you!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1 year 4 months ago #331699 by krileon
Connections are scheduled to be completely rewritten in CB 3.x. We probably won't be adding any major features to connections until then. Support for custom types will absolutely be available. How that's designed I'm not entirely sure yet, but always though Google+ Circles was an amazing feature for organizing connections/friends.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: liaskas

1 year 3 months ago #332149 by CristianoSias
Replied by CristianoSias on topic Connections functinality that does not exist so far...
Excuse me butting in, but I find all this depressing. Certainly the new messages feature is very interesting, but still limited, and traumatizes users who previously saw the existence of messages on any page upon access (which was no small matter for slaves of the social network) and are now forced to go on the profile to know if they have received messages, as well as having to completely change the way they operate. Moreover, the current migration does not allow to maintain the existence of both because it does not foresee a constant or reciprocal alignment.
In short, at the moment it seems even easier to remove the cb plugin and insert an external link to Uddeim, waiting for valid alternatives. Pity though. I consider abandoning the development of a historical extension like Uddeim a considerable fault, and also loses faith in Joomla. This is not understandable, because it is so used that I think no one would oppose a paid version of Uddeim. Studying the situation on Github is also the stuff of masochists and life for us poor webmasters is increasingly difficult, moving away from Cms that force us to redo everything every day.

1 year 3 months ago #332156 by krileon

Excuse me butting in, but I find all this depressing. Certainly the new messages feature is very interesting, but still limited, and traumatizes users who previously saw the existence of messages on any page upon access (which was no small matter for slaves of the social network) and are now forced to go on the profile to know if they have received messages, as well as having to completely change the way they operate. Moreover, the current migration does not allow to maintain the existence of both because it does not foresee a constant or reciprocal alignment.
In short, at the moment it seems even easier to remove the cb plugin and insert an external link to Uddeim, waiting for valid alternatives. Pity though. I consider abandoning the development of a historical extension like Uddeim a considerable fault, and also loses faith in Joomla. This is not understandable, because it is so used that I think no one would oppose a paid version of Uddeim. Studying the situation on Github is also the stuff of masochists and life for us poor webmasters is increasingly difficult, moving away from Cms that force us to redo everything every day.
You don't need to go to profile to see if you have new messages. The CB Login Module and CB Workflows Module both can show new message and new connection notifications.

As for UddeIM that's completely out of our hands. The developer has chose to discontinue it as they don't have the time to develop it any further. As for CBs private messaging it will be entering its final phase of rewriting in CB 3.x where it will become a instant messenger like what everyone is already familiar with on other social media sites of which this will be free as it's a part of CBs core and because it's turning into an instant messenger it won't need a contact list as you'd just invite people to a group message.

UddeIM had a premium option that provided more features and additional plugins. I'm guessing there weren't enough purchases to sustain development. There's also nothing stopping others from coming forward and taking on UddeIM to upgrade it for Joomla 4. It's all available on Github.

Regarding Joomla's future it seams fine. Most people are not moving away from using a CMS. Large businesses and tech startups are, but they make up a very small portion of the internet. A CMS is still an amazing solution for a lot of sites including intranets where Joomla is quite popular.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

1 year 2 months ago #332159 by CristianoSias
Replied by CristianoSias on topic Connections functinality that does not exist so far...
I understand and appreciate your answer, you do a commendable job, but that doesn't take away the feeling of insecurity caused by similar facts. Personally I'm experimenting locally with the solution of compatibility error reports by intervening on the code, creating special plugins, etc., but I don't have enough knowledge of Uddeim to be able to propose generalized solutions and we all know how complex it is to intervene on someone else's work, rather than redoing something new, as you are doing. However, I hadn't really noticed in the logout options that notification of new messages, I apologize and thank you, this changes the approach a bit and is a good step towards solving the problem. We will be curious to see the sequel with instant messaging. A warm greeting.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn