Setting Default Value in Drop Down List

9 years 8 months ago #247227 by Intellitech
Setting Default Value in Drop Down List was created by Intellitech
Hi all,
Have a quick question here:

I have a drop down list.
How can i set the first selection as a default.
For example: my options are 1,2,3. How could I set it to first display "Please select one" to show up in the list first (ie not a blank field display before the option).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago #247267 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Setting Default Value in Drop Down List
You can't change the blank option display. The only way to do what you're wanting is to add a new option to the field then set the registration default to the value of the new option, but this will only apply to registration. To prevent selection of the empty option set the field to required.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 8 months ago #247296 by Intellitech
Replied by Intellitech on topic Setting Default Value in Drop Down List
Thanks and have tried but unable to do so.

This particular field is created in separate tab, which is only Published for a certain period.
I just need the selection to default be selected as "Please select one".

The field settings are as follows:
Pre-filled default value at registration only: Please select one
Required?: Yes
Show on Profile?:No
Display field title in Profile?:
Searchable in users-lists?: No
User Read Only?: No
Show at Registration?: No
Published: Yes
Size:0

values:
Please select one
Cheque
Online Credit Card
Bank Transfer / Internet Banking

What else am I missing?

9 years 8 months ago #247309 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Setting Default Value in Drop Down List
If the user has no value stored it'll add a blank and have it pre-selected. There's no way to avoid this behavior without developing a custom select field. I suppose one option is to create a custom database table with the options you want then use CB Query Field and its Query Select fieldtype to build its options from that table.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn