3 text area out of several required during registration

6 years 9 months ago #295532 by smasle
Hi there,

I have a tab on my registration page that has nine text area. All these text area are configured not required as I want the new user to fill at least three of these, but not necessary all. I activated step by step registration, and I would like an error to fire when the new user clicks on the next button, not on the sign up button at the end.

I didn't find an event that could help me in CB Auto Actions, and I cannot figure out how to implement this behavior with the validation area (parameters tab of text area) or with CB Conditionnal. CB Code Field runs the code only at the end of registration so it doesn't act as I would like.

Is it possible to do such a behavior?

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 9 months ago #295538 by krileon
There is no validation behavior for that. Are the text area fields specific to anything? Can you make just the first 3 required and the others non-required? Beyond that best I can suggest is to probably try using CB Code Field and its Code Validation to add custom PHP validation to your field, but it won't work with ajax validation since that only sends the value of the field being validated so you'll have to turn that off and it'll only validate after the form was been submit.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 9 months ago #295549 by smasle
Thanks for your help. Ideally I would like to keep the user free to fill the text area of his choice. But as I thought and as you mentionned, it may be difficult or even impossible.

I will try again but I will probably think my registration process differently, or I will live with the validation once the form is submitted.

6 years 9 months ago #295562 by krileon
If the textarea fields aren't specific to some sort of content you could make the first 3 required then have the second textarea field display after the first has a value, the third after the second has a value, etc.. The show/hide you'd do with CB Conditional. This means initially they'll only see 1 textarea field with the others showing as they progress. This probably won't work well if the textarea fields are each specific.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 8 months ago #296201 by smasle
Each text area is specific, so I cannot implement what you say. What I did is to add checkboxes, if the checkbox is selected the field is shown and required, and I will check at the end of registration if at least 3 checkboxes are selected.
It's not exactly what I wanted but should work perfectly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn