PayPal Currency Problem

5 years 11 months ago #304782 by MarlonFungai
PayPal Currency Problem was created by MarlonFungai
The problem is simple PayPal processes payments in USD and my site is in ZAR. I need to use PayPal recurring payments and use Rands as the main site currency. Ok so I have tried a number of things but none seem to completely solve the problem.

1. I tried setting the main currency to Rands and the secondary currency to USD - The rand value is passed to PayPal so the transaction fails - is there a way to pass the secondary currency to the payment gateway?

2. I tried setting USD to the be the main currency and then secondary to Rands - this works fine accept that the invoices sent are in USD - is there a way to edit the invoice so it shows the secondary currency value? I suspect that there are other places that I would need to show the secondary currency besides the invoice.

Please help the bottom line is I need to run the site in Rands and use PayPal which only accepts dollars. I appreciate your time on this.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago #304786 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic PayPal Currency Problem
PayPal does not accept Rand so to workaround this you need to be sure CBSubs is set to send USD to PayPal. The below configuration in CBSubs > Settings > Global should do just that.

Main Currency: USD
Secondary Currency: South African Rand
Display of prices with secondary currency price: [SECONDARY_CURRENCY_PRICE]

That should display Rand, but always work in USD. The alternative is to not use a multi-currency configuration in CBSubs > Settings > Global then try setting the below within your PayPal gateway.

Accepted Currencies for payment: USD
What to do if currency of basket is not accepted: Ask if user wants to convert basket currency to pay

That should ask them to convert the currency in order to pay using PayPal.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarlonFungai

5 years 11 months ago #304807 by MarlonFungai
Replied by MarlonFungai on topic PayPal Currency Problem
Hi Kyle

Thanks so much for the excellent support. I went with option 2 changing the payment gateway. For future CB Subs versions I would ask that you guys look at adding a 3rd option in the payment gateway for "What to do if currency of basket is not accepted:" silently convert to basket currency. This option would not request any input from the user or require the use to press again on the gateway button (which is what happens if you don't specify a question for the pop up), or change the invoice on the site only the invoice at the gateway itself. The reasoning for this feature is this:

1. Most currencies from developing countries are not supported by the big gateways and in these countries most of the people there are fairly new to eCommerce so firstly if they think anything weird is happening on your site they would rather cancel a transaction and secondly the more inputs there are the more likely they are to make a mistake during a transaction.

2. A lot of these countries have strange laws when it comes to forex, tax and online invoicing so sometimes merchants have to issue invoices to their customers in their native currency no matter what which means currently they can't use CB Subs at all because even if they display their prices in their native currency their invoices will be in forex.

Please take this into consideration I know it's impossible to satisfy every use case for every user. Thanks again.

5 years 10 months ago #305198 by MarlonFungai
Replied by MarlonFungai on topic PayPal Currency Problem
Hi guys did something change on this in the last update I suddenly get this error when we try and go through the gateway "Changes of currency of orders are not authorized"

5 years 10 months ago #305199 by beat
Replied by beat on topic PayPal Currency Problem

MarlonFungai wrote: Hi guys did something change on this in the last update I suddenly get this error when we try and go through the gateway "Changes of currency of orders are not authorized"

No, we didn't change anything.

That error message comes if you have set global CBSubs setting "Allow selection of currency" to off, and someone or something tries to change the currency of the basket. Either a user, or maybe CBSubs gateway currency setting not same currency as CBSubs products.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn