Using Email Address as/instead of Username

5 years 9 months ago #305721 by ernienet
I've been trying to set up my Joomla websites so that they use the email address + password instead of a username + password.

It's an ongoing problem for my clients. Their users have trouble remembering their username and get caught up in a cycle trying to reset it. Then they call my client, and my client calls me - it's just so annoying.

So I've set up three of my most recent websites to use the email address instead of a username by creating template overrides so they see "email" instead of a username across all the extensions that display it. I use the CB Login module.

I learned last night from a client that some users are logging in through their mobile devices and that the mobile device (Android, in this case) automatically capitalizes the first letter of the email address, causing it to be "wrong" and failing to log them in. Is there a way to make the username non-case sensitive?

Is there more to this whole idea of using the email address instead of a username? Does Joomla core support this? I also use DT Register and I'm starting to use Membership Pro on some sites, so if anyone has experience with those, it might be helpful.

Thank you,
Ernie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 9 months ago #305729 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Using Email Address as/instead of Username
You shouldn't need to be using the username field at all. Within CB > Configuration > General set "Login Method" to "Email Address" then set the username field within CB > Field Management to not display on profile edit and registration. That eliminates the username usage entirely. CB isn't enforcing case sensitivity on username or email address during login; I'm able to login fine using my username or email address in all caps even.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 9 months ago #305733 by ernienet
Replied by ernienet on topic Using Email Address as/instead of Username
Yes, that's exactly how it's set up - I'm not sure what went wrong with the person who called me last night, but when she changed the first character of her email address to lower-case, she was able to log in. Maybe that wasn't the issue at all, and it was something else.

I just tested it by capitalizing the first character of my email address and it logged me in successfully. I also changed the configuration to allow either username or email and then entered the username in all caps (it's lower-case in the record). That worked successfully, too.

So it seems that whatever she was doing on her phone, she was entering something else wrong - maybe a space, maybe a wrong password.

I'm just glad that I can step back from trying to troubleshoot something that isn't really an issue at all.

There were four other prior registrations that were not enabled and never confirmed. Those users seem to have tried again with a different email address - I'm not sure why.

Thank you,
Ernie

5 years 9 months ago #305739 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Using Email Address as/instead of Username
Sounds like they input a space, typed the email address wrong, or typed their password wrong.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn