some language overrides not picked up

4 years 7 months ago #313953 by dhphllps
some language overrides not picked up was created by dhphllps
I have a multilingual site including CBSubs and have created language override keys for plan names and descriptions, as well as a few custom fields in CB. Since updating to the latest CB most of the keys are not being recognized in some languages, both in CB and in CBSubs. For example, a simple text field in CB is postal code. The key is ZIP. It's translated correctly to Postcode in Dutch and Código Postal in Spanish, but not to Postal Code in English, even though it's in the default CB override file, the en-GB override file, the en-US override file, the CB Paid Subscriptions - en-US file and the CB Paid Subscriptions - en-GB overrides file. Other keys are recognized in some languages but not others. A few keys are recognized in all languages, but I can't see any difference between those and the ones that aren't being recognized in any languages.

Any ideas?

J! 3.9.11
PHP 7.1.30
CB 2.4.2+build.2019.08.19.22.25.30.e0fbd76f0
CBSubs 4.3.1+build.2019.08.15.16.08.53.0334c7a14

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 7 months ago #313959 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic some language overrides not picked up
You should not have an English language plugin installed. The default language is English. A change was made recently to stop language overrides from incorrectly falling back. So for example if Spanish language is loaded, but doesn't have any overrides it would fallback and load in the Default language overrides which it should not have been doing and has been fixed. There have been no other changes to language loading behavior beyond that.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #313960 by dhphllps
Replied by dhphllps on topic some language overrides not picked up
OK, I just deleted the various English plugins (en-GB, en-US, CB Paid Subscriptions - en-UK, and CB Paid Subscriptions - en-US) and double checked to make sure the strings are all included in the default plugin. There is no change in behavior.

Attachments:

4 years 7 months ago #313966 by krileon
Ensure your descriptions do not have extra HTML surrounding them. WYSIWYG editors are intrusive; they will alter your content. They almost always surround your content with a paragraph element even if it's 1 sentence and by doing that it will not translate since inline translations do not exist. To fix that you'll need to edit your WYSIWYG editor in Extensions > Plugins and ensure new lines are set to BR tags (linebreak) instead of P tags (paragraphs) or use the View Source button and remove the paragraph tags in your description.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 7 months ago #313967 by dhphllps
Replied by dhphllps on topic some language overrides not picked up
Thank you! That fixed the ones that weren't picking up. I looked at the others and they do have paragraph tags around them as well, but were being recognized anyway.

4 years 7 months ago #313969 by krileon

I looked at the others and they do have paragraph tags around them as well, but were being recognized anyway.

More than likely they were stored in the database before those paragraph tags were added, which can happen if the WYSIWYG editors JS doesn't add them in time for the save. I'm not a big fan of how intrusive WYSIWYG editors are. Big believer in they should be as their name implies "What You See Is What You Get" except that's not the case with Joomlas TinyMCE out of the box when it suddenly adds a paragraph element I never added.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: dhphllps

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn