Auto Actions

4 years 7 months ago #314033 by 3cellhosting
Replied by 3cellhosting on topic Auto Actions
Hi Kyle,

I have tried using the Query field from the 5 query options. It is also using CB Conditional.

The Dropdown works as expected. The query field just does not display in the registration form at all at all. I have left the query field in place - cb_pcn. This is after I deleted the text field as one forum post showed that a new field worked where the edited field didn't.

I have added you as a Super User - see secure part of post.

This message contains confidential information

I know it is likely to be an error on my behalf but in my defence the instructions on the plugin are a bit vague.

Many thanks
David

David
www.3cellhosting.com - where personality, creativity and integrity come as standard.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #314035 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Auto Actions
The query field isn't going to display if there's nothing to output which at registration will often be the case. I still don't understand what you're trying to do. Why does the practice number need to display on registration if it's directly linked to practice name? The user should only need to select practice name in that case and the practice number can be displayed on profile via query field, which is currently working fine.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 7 months ago #314036 by 3cellhosting
Hi Kyle,

As with most database driven membership schemes we need to keep data integrity. We want to make registration simple for the user but we still need all the data added to their profile. Most users will have no idea of their NHS locality, neighbourhood, or PCN (Practice Code Number) so we wanted to automate that. It made sense to have this happen at registration. The thought process was based on the US State, County, Town, ZIP example in the tutorials.

We have the full table already in-situ and my intention was that as they chose their main place of work as GP Practice, the registration would display the appropriate fields starting with Practice Name. Once selected the Query plugin would populate the remaining fields. So are you saying that even though the Practice Name is selected the subsequent query cannot access that field? This is not what I have seen with US states example.

Having the data added at registration would then show in their profile so users would start to recognise the data that they currently do not know. The data is also required for administrators as it will be used for training records, invoices and other administrative tasks.

If you are saying that registration is not the place to do that, then I guess we will have to look at CB Auto Actions populating the fields but not sure how that would work to determine the correct values associated with the Practice Name in the #__practices table.

To me this seems like a simple way of ensuring data is in a profile but without relying on each member of staff knowing data about the practice that they themselves would not normally use.

Does this make any more sense?

Many thanks
David

David
www.3cellhosting.com - where personality, creativity and integrity come as standard.

4 years 7 months ago #314037 by krileon
Query fields don't store anything. They simply display the result of your database query. The only stored value you'd have is the Practice Name, which would be used for querying for the rest of the information that would then display perfectly fine on their profile (and already does so right now). It will not be able to do that at registration. I think you're misunderstanding some concepts when it comes to CB Query Field; see explanations below based off fieldtype

Query: displays the results of your database query and stores nothing

Query Checkbox (Multiple): displays the results of your database query as checkbox options and stores whatever is selected

Query Drop Down (Multi-select): displays the results of your database query as dropdown options and stores whatever is selected

Query Drop Down (Single Select): displays the results of your database query as dropdown options and stores whatever is selected

Query Radio Buttons: displays the results of your database query as radio options and stores whatever is selected

Now onto the various query integration features.

Query Validation: validates the value of a field against a database query and stores nothing

Query Auto Complete: displays the results of your database query based off the supplied value in a text field to suggest a predefined value to select from and stores the selected value or whatever text they entered (this does not restrict them to using only the suggested values!)

In your case the user selects Practice Name and on their profile it will display Practice Number via a Query field. The user doesn't have to do anything further.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 7 months ago #314040 by 3cellhosting
Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the definitions. I need data to be stored as RSForms and RSEvents will need to use the data for course bookings and certificate generation.

I think I will have to look at using the other field types or consider CB Auto Actions to populate fields on triggers such as saving registration or changing profile etc.

Thanks for persisting with my descritions.

Cheers for now
David

David

4 years 7 months ago #314050 by krileon
You can use query fields in that case to get the values then Field actions in CB Auto Actions to set a field to the value of the query fields via substitutions. This would give you the field as a stored value. This wouldn't be necessary if RS Forms and RS Events would stop querying the database directly and use the getFields API provided in our documentation.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds