Validation field in field group

3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #321236 by ericmuc
Replied by ericmuc on topic Validation field in field group
Hi,

Thanks. Sorry for asking you several times in this matter. I am still looking for a way to get an acceptable solution for my use case.

OK, now I tried as you said

Add a condition to the entire field group field so it's only visible if relevant. Then your required check won't apply if the field isn't relevant to the user. What it conditions off of is entirely up to you. Could simply be a checkbox field to note that yes they have career steps. A user adding a blank row of fields would of course trigger validation which they can avoid by just not having that row.

So I added an extra field for hide/show the entire field group. I added the extra field to "Update on" at the field group and to the extra field I added the field group as "additional fields". So the field group comes with the ajax edit in profile.

But after save the field group the content change is not seen in the profile, a page refresh has to be done.

Do I miss a step or doesn't work it like this?

Thanks, best regards
Eric

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #321237 by ericmuc
Additional:

If the switcher is set to off and save and then to on (show) again, the content is lost. This is normal behavior I think, but is there a solution, to have only a hide, not a delete?

3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #321242 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Validation field in field group

I am still looking for a way to get an acceptable solution for my use case.

I don't have a sure fire way to meet your use case since you need CB Conditional support inside of field groups for what you're trying to do, but that's just not available yet. One way would be to just not use field groups and pre-define a set of fields then chain your inputs together using CB Conditional.

But after save the field group the content change is not seen in the profile, a page refresh has to be done.

A refresh should not be required with CB Core Fields Ajax editing unless you've caching on.

If the switcher is set to off and save and then to on (show) again, the content is lost. This is normal behavior I think, but is there a solution, to have only a hide, not a delete?

That's normal CB Conditional behavior. You can turn off value resetting within CB Conditional > Parameters.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 4 months ago #321248 by ericmuc
Hi,

A refresh should not be required with CB Core Fields Ajax editing unless you've caching on.

I tried many and also with new test field. I need a page refresh with condition and ajax front end. I have all plugins with latest version. No chache.

At the moment I don't know what I can further do. Do you have a hint?

Thanks, best regards
Eric

3 years 4 months ago #321251 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Validation field in field group

I tried many and also with new test field. I need a page refresh with condition and ajax front end. I have all plugins with latest version. No chache.

You need a page refresh to do what exactly? Ajax editing only replaces the display of the field directly being ajax edited. Example scenario as follows.

Field A conditions Field B
Field B is Hidden
Edit Field A
Field B is still Hidden
Refresh
Field B is NOT Hidden

This is expected behavior since ajax editing of Field A only updates the view of Field A. I'm sorry, but you may need to reconsider how you're trying to configure things as CB does not cover your specific use case. We provide A LOT of functionality, but it's not possible for us to cover every scenario and it's not practical for us to implement support for every scenario.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 4 months ago #321273 by ericmuc
Hi,
Thanks, so this possibility to get a good solution for my use case is unfortunately also not sufficient.

This all starts with missing profile edit splitting, because with many tabs you cannot use cb required fields and so on, this story you know now already, please see also my pm to you. I am very sorry to write you several times in this matter. But at the moment I am building up a website in the way like LinkedIn and have the same problem as one year before with another project with CB. In the last project I had to use then Profile Pro www.joomduck.com/extensions/community-builder-profile-pro and for a second data level the extension dj-extensions.com/dj-classifieds (here I wrote to you last year that this second data level would be the fantastic base for development web applications with CB; I missed the great possibilities of CB very much by using this other extension). But this time I want to use only CB because of less complexicity of the site.

In my view I am not having extarordinary use cases / scenarios but I am using cb fields and plugins functionality for trying to build up web applications. So I would like to mention "We have a lot of great things planned for CB 3.0 as we shift towards being more of a web application." of your post www.joomlapolis.com/blog/kyle/18895-what-am-i-working-on-15. I am very happy that CB 3.0 will go in this direction and feel, I am using the right system.

I understand, that I am too early with my approach of building up web applications with CB. But I send you my needs that you can consider them for further development. In the meantime there are ways to solve my needs, not perfect, more like work arounds, sometime time consuming, but it is possible.

At the beginning working with CB last year, after knowing CB since many years now, I checked the market and took a look at toolset of WP and also sebold. I decided to work with CB because I know CB for so long, the suitable functionality and I realized, that you make such a good support. What I am missing is a comprehensive documentary to all of the functions of CB. But I know that would be a great work and to put ressources in CB development is a better way.

So my decision to work with CB is still right and I gave you many thanks for your wonderful support in the meantime. Please forgive me as I am not a php developer, but a business developer and start up consultant with good knowledge in css / html and some basic knowledge in php. So having sample codes for various topics helps much.

I will use the Profile Pro extension this time again and will make some workarounds and be sure to reach at the end the level of functionality that I need for the current project with using CB.

So again, thank you very much for your patience and your good support which comes every working day in such a reliable way.

Thank you and best regards
Eric

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn