Questions on integrations / ability of CBSubs GPL

11 years 3 months ago #218009 by TBDESP
Kindof a presales style question, and not specifically urgent, which is why I am not posting in professional support; but since I already have the license for an existing site, I put it here.

With the move to GPL, I am considering CBSubs on a few other sites I was looking at using other payment processing modules for. Not sure which, if any, of these scenarios CBSubs will work with/for.

A) A site where members of a certain membership plan can 'post' their profile to a page for a limited time, at a specified cost. A sort of advertising page, where their profile avatar becomes the banners linked to their profile pages. They can pay to have it on the page for a matter of hours, or a number of days. I could also have this handled in a pay-per-post forum, such as kunena, where posts in the specified category are deleted every N hours, and they have to pay to repost; with each forum post being a brief ad text and the link to their profile. The main goal is to let them use their CB profile as an ad for their goods/services, and to have the ability to charge them to advertise that profile on an area of the site. I would prefer the ads/links be their avatar, but as mentioned, forum posts could work as well. I also thought of integrating a Virtuemart shop to do this in some manner, but did not see a viable method. If there are other suggested methods of accomplishing this, I am open to suggestions.

B) Charge a premium per enhancements to the CB profile; each enhancement requiring an additional monthly charge... such as a picture gallery on the profile costing $5.00 per month, a blog on the profile costing $2.00 per month, a 'wall' on the profile costing $3.00 per month, other custom modules costing varying amounts per month, etc. I would assume I could handle this with multiple different subscription plans, each one granting a single feature (or two), and allowing members to have multiple plans at once, is this correct? As a related question, is there a way to charge for having a different 'template' or 'theme' for a single profile? So they can control the colors and such of their profile page?

C) Control access to kunena forums - allowing plan A no access to a given forum category, plan B read-only access to that category, and plan C read/write access to the category. I believe this is possible, but have not yet seen it. Just verifying... And how difficult is it to have multi layered access controls, where there are multiple categories and multiple subscription plans, and each category has different access (none, read-only, read-write) for each subscription plan?

D) Allow only certain plans to join groups, and only certain plans to create groups (Group Jive) - I believe this is also possible, but again have not yet seen it, so am verifying. And again, how layered or detailed can this be across various group categories and subscription plans?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 3 months ago #218049 by krileon
I'll clear the table with this first and foremost: CBSubs can not and will not add features to an extension that do not already exist in said extension. This means if for example you want to limit download count on a per user basis in a download extension and that extension has no said limit feature then you can not do it without implementing said feature to the download extension. Ok, now to your individual questions. :)

A) A site where members of a certain membership plan can 'post' their profile to a page for a limited time, at a specified cost. A sort of advertising page, where their profile avatar becomes the banners linked to their profile pages. They can pay to have it on the page for a matter of hours, or a number of days. I could also have this handled in a pay-per-post forum, such as kunena, where posts in the specified category are deleted every N hours, and they have to pay to repost; with each forum post being a brief ad text and the link to their profile. The main goal is to let them use their CB profile as an ad for their goods/services, and to have the ability to charge them to advertise that profile on an area of the site. I would prefer the ads/links be their avatar, but as mentioned, forum posts could work as well. I also thought of integrating a Virtuemart shop to do this in some manner, but did not see a viable method. If there are other suggested methods of accomplishing this, I am open to suggestions.

There are a couple of ways you could accomplish this. For example you could just use CB Userlists and update a field value when they subscribe then filter said userlist by that field. When their plan expires you'd simply reset the field.

Another solution is to give post access to a Kunena forum category using CBSubs Content integration and its By URL Part solution and when they expire simply delete all their posts in that category using CBSubs SQL Actions with a database query.

Another solution is you could protect a editor field you create in CB > Field Management with CBSubs Fields Tabs Protection so they can only edit this field (with HTML support) when they are actively subscribed. You'd then display this field anywhere that supports substitutions or just let it only display on their CB profile. When they expire the field will hide again.

Another solution is to use an image field that lets them upload a graphic advertisement (limit the maximum sizes in the image fields parameters as needed) then protect said field with CBSubs Fields Tabs Protection. You could then display it on profile or anywhere substitutions are supported (for example in Kunena sidebar under their avatar like we do with your subscription icons as seen here and JP). Then when they expire it'll hide again.

Charge a premium per enhancements to the CB profile; each enhancement requiring an additional monthly charge... such as a picture gallery on the profile costing $5.00 per month, a blog on the profile costing $2.00 per month, a 'wall' on the profile costing $3.00 per month, other custom modules costing varying amounts per month, etc. I would assume I could handle this with multiple different subscription plans, each one granting a single feature (or two), and allowing members to have multiple plans at once, is this correct? As a related question, is there a way to charge for having a different 'template' or 'theme' for a single profile? So they can control the colors and such of their profile page?

For this you'd simply create non-exclusive subscriptions then use CBSubs Fields Tabs Protection to protect CB ProfileGallery gallery tab or any other tab you want to be a premium feature (you'll want to protect by owner).

As for the template feature yes it's possible for them to change their template using our CB Template Changer plugin. You'd protect it with CBSubs Fields Tabs Protection as well.

C) Control access to kunena forums - allowing plan A no access to a given forum category, plan B read-only access to that category, and plan C read/write access to the category. I believe this is possible, but have not yet seen it. Just verifying... And how difficult is it to have multi layered access controls, where there are multiple categories and multiple subscription plans, and each category has different access (none, read-only, read-write) for each subscription plan?

Very easily done using CBSubs Content and its By URL Part protection. You'd basically supply a partial URL to the category and that plan will protect it (we use this here at JP). Please search however as we've quite a few examples on such usage. I believe we may have a tutorial on this as well found below.

www.joomlapolis.com/support/tutorials

D) Allow only certain plans to join groups, and only certain plans to create groups (Group Jive) - I believe this is also possible, but again have not yet seen it, so am verifying. And again, how layered or detailed can this be across various group categories and subscription plans?

Same as the above with Kunena. You'd basically just protect the Join URL of a group with a plan. By URL Part supports regex as well so you've all kinds of URL protection possibilities.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TBDESP

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn