Unable to edit particular type of member

5 years 7 months ago #307387 by autobahn
Most of our users fall into the 'Registered' User Group and can be edited and their subscriptions managed by our Membership Secretary via either CB or CB Subs options at the back end.

However, we have another type of user which has its own group under Public, and these members the Membership Secretary is unable to edit - the error message is that he needs higher-authority access in order to do so. The Plan for these users is free and lifetime, but on logging in they only have access to their own, specific menu which only allows them to update their Profile and view a membership list.

What do I need to do to give our Membership Secretary the ability to edit these users? As a superuser I can do the edits, but I don't want to give that level of control when it's not needed for anything else.

Thank you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 7 months ago #307390 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Unable to edit particular type of member
I do not recommend adding new parent usergroups. They have no default permissions and will directly inherit from Public. This means you have to setup all of their permissions throughout your site. If you still want to do that then you'll need to first start with global permissions in Joomla global configuration. Next user permissions within Joomla's user manager. Now within CB throughout the various views (e.g. user management, configuration, tab management). Finally within CBSubs > Settings > Permissions.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 7 months ago #307393 by autobahn
Replied by autobahn on topic Unable to edit particular type of member
I already have all the permissions set up so that's not a problem. I just don't understand why the users can't be edited by a Manager or Administrator in the same way as the users in the Registered User group.

I need to block these 'outsider' members from accessing any of the content available to Registered users when they log in. I'll have to rethink my structure.

Thank you for your help.

5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #307399 by krileon
A new top level usergroup isn't understood in a tree based system. Moderators and Administrator usergroups are already understood as above Registered. Author are already understood as above Registered. Registered is above Public. With a new parent usergroup it has no clue if they're above someone or not so it'll fail the "you can't edit someone above you" check. Once we've redone the permissions handling in CB this likely won't be an issue anymore as we won't need that check as we'll exclusively check the user edit permission.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 7 months ago #307408 by autobahn
Replied by autobahn on topic Unable to edit particular type of member
I think I might have got my terminology wrong :( My 'outsider' group is at the same level within the tree structure as Registered. So I have:

Public
- Manager
-- Administrator
- Outsider
- Registered
-- Author....

So while you say 'Registered is above Public' I would say 'Registered is under Public' to mean the same thing. A difference in usage I expect.

So, now that I've clarified where my Outsider group sits withing the tree structure, do you have any suggestions as to why the users can't be edited by a Manager or Administrator in the same way as the users in the Registered User group please?

Thank you

5 years 7 months ago #307420 by krileon
Ensure your Manager and Administrator don't have a group that's equal to or below Outsider. This means they shouldn't be Administrator and Registered, but just Administrator. If that doesn't work I recommend just putting Outside under Registered, which should work fine.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn