reactivate a recurring subscription

3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #321348 by joomally
reactivate a recurring subscription was created by joomally
Hi,
could you please clarify what reactivate means and when the option occurs ?

Recently a member had the option to reactivate, but we don't understand why, as the payment went through as usual.

The plan is
Regular Validity duration - 1 month
'Total number of occurrences of regular validity/price' - 0.
Auto-recurring renewals - Yes
Grace period before real expiration - 1 day (maybe this needs to be higher ?)

The Stripe subscription debited the card successfully on the correct day it was due (the 30th of the month), so I would have expected her membership to be active. This was the 4th month of the subscription. All previous months, the payment was on the 30th and there were no previous problems with the Joomla membership.
But this time, on the subscription tab of her profile, it said that the membership 'Expired 30/10/20 '

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 5 months ago #321360 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic reactivate a recurring subscription

Grace period before real expiration - 1 day (maybe this needs to be higher ?)

If you're using recurring payments this should be typically set to at least 3 days. This is to ensure any delays on the payment processors end won't cause a subscription to prematurely expire.

But this time, on the subscription tab of her profile, it said that the membership 'Expired 30/10/20 '

This typically only happens if an IPN doesn't reach your site. Check within CBSubs > Notifications to see if you got an IPN for that payment. Also within your Stripe Dashboard under Developers > Webhooks click your webhook URL and review the "Webhook attempts" and "Log" at the bottom to be sure the Webhook didn't report as failed.

Be sure CBSubs is completely up to date and within Stripe > Dashboard > Developers you've the latest API activated under "API version".

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 5 months ago #321370 by joomally
Replied by joomally on topic reactivate a recurring subscription
An IPN with 'subscr_payment' and 'Completed' was received on Oct. 30.

On the Stripe Dashboard, under Developers > Webhooks, when I click on the webhook URL and review the "Webhook attempts" and "Log" and then click on 'Failed' to display just the failures, there are 'No matching results'

Also, when I search the cbsubs history logs for her email address, there is a message on October 30th 'Updating payment record because of new status of payment basket: Completed because of event received: subscr_payment. Previous status was: Completed'. This is the same message seen on September 30th and August 30th.

CBSubs was completely up to date.
Stripe did not have the latest API activated, but it does now. Could this have caused it ? What's strange is that other payments have come through since then without a problem.

We have resolved the situation by cancelling the subscription in Stripe and asking the user to 'reactivate' the subscription and enter their card details again. So this is not really a problem for us at the moment. I'm just trying to understand why it happened in case I need to do something to prevent it happening again. But if there is nothing obviously wrong then I don't mind just leaving it. I just don't understand why it happened.

Thanks

3 years 5 months ago #321371 by krileon
Please PM backend super user login credentials and include the username of the user that had this issue. Will review the notification and logs to see if a IPN state maybe not being handled properly. It should've reactivated based off the information you've provided so far.

Stripe did not have the latest API activated, but it does now. Could this have caused it ? What's strange is that other payments have come through since then without a problem.

Possibly, but shouldn't since we've IPN version backwards compatibility implemented for quite a few versions back.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 5 months ago #321375 by krileon
Have reviewed your install and I can't make any sense of why it expired. The IPN is there, the payment row is there, the history log of the basket being updated just like previous renewals is also there. There are no hints or notes of any kind of error. Everything looks as it should. Very strange the subscription expired somehow.

Reviewing the log of the subscription itself shows it did expire, but that it also renewed. Specifically it renewed fine on "30/10/20 17:42:40 PM" then for some reason expired on "31/10/20 16:43:55 PM". I've checked a couple of your other auto recurring subscriptions and they appear to be logging fine and renewing fine so I'm not sure why this users subscription specifically is behaving so strangely. It is possible this was a bug that has been fixed since that user initially subscribed.

What I do recommend is being more generous with "Renewable in advance by" and "Grace period before real expiration" within your auto recurring plans. Both should be set to at least 3 days. This allows for IPNs to arrive early or late without causing the subscription to prematurely expire or fail to renew. It's entirely possible there was just a timing problem happening.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn