CB Activity 3.0 RC1 Released

8 years 11 months ago #264441 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CB Activity 3.0 RC1 Released
Monitoring the mouseover state would be too inefficient. For commenting it could pause the stream when you're typing a comment. For activity it could pause the stream if you've an entry active (click an entry and it becomes active). I'll consider the request when reviewing implementation of auto updating.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8 years 11 months ago #264444 by jbukowski
Replied by jbukowski on topic CB Activity 3.0 RC1 Released
when are you releasing rc2 ?

8 years 11 months ago #264499 by krileon

when are you releasing rc2 ?

I was hoping this week, but looks like next week. We need to prepare a CB 2.0.9 before release as I upgraded our select2 to version 4.0.0, which was a pretty major upgrade for the tags usage.

Then when I finished implementing tags, which was going to be simple params on the activity row but instead is db driven, there were performance problems. I also saw the same performance problems for comments. In short each activity row was causing 3-4 database queries even if it had no tags or comments. So I've implemented a prefetch functionality to determine if a list of rows has comments and/or tags to determine if I even need to query for them or not. This reduced query count massively (50+) and improved performance.

Then my indexes weren't right and some that are needed for performance don't work on MyISAM and only work on InnoDB due to index length limits. So now I have to rewrite all of the indexes for the most optimal performance while making sure the index length doesn't go beyond 1000 bytes.

The above reasons are why it's delayed. Hopefully won't hit anymore snags, but we'll see.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant, kosmos_, neilmac500, paxx

8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #265015 by krileon
Now that CB Activity 3.0.0 RC2 is released I'll be working on updating CB Auto Actions before focusing on RC3.

The reason for this is so you can start logging activity again using CB Auto Actions, which will be the primary source of logging activity as I'm trying to avoid hardcoding functionality. The idea is plugins moving forward should have the appropriate triggers for their various behavior. This will allow CB Auto Actions to extend them as needed. A bug fix release for CB Auto Actions has also been released to be compatible with 2.0.9 and its tag changes. I also went ahead and updated its triggers dropdown list to be up to date.

With CB Activity 3.0.0 RC2 you'll notice the following features.

1. Links
2. Tags
3. Comment Replies

Links are basically URLs you can share like videos, audio files, youtube links, or website links. They'll be parsed for their metadata and media data. This allows them to display an image, title, and description. For video, audio, or youtube media a media player will be displayed allowing full playback. You can have unlimited links but the default limit is set to 5.

Tags allow you to tag people as being with you in your status posts. So if you're with your 5 friends you can state you're with your 5 friends. The dropdown will let you select users that or connected to you otherwise you can just type out a new name as needed.

Comment replies allows a 1 depth reply to a comment (e.g. Facebook usage). It will add 1 query per comment render. So if you've 30 activity entries that's 30 more queries. So it can be heavy and is disabled by default globally and per-usage. I'll be looking to see if I can improve the performance further in a later release.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: beat, kosmos_

8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #265019 by kosmos_
Replied by kosmos_ on topic CB Activity 3.0 RC1 Released
Thanks for the release.

I have a question.

Are you planning to add the option upload a new photo and attach it to a post?

8 years 10 months ago #265035 by krileon

Are you planning to add the option upload a new photo and attach it to a post?

Yes, the idea is CB Gallery will act on CB Activity triggers and extend it with that functionality. I'm not sure when I'll have that implemented though as CB Activity needs to reach stable first then when I do get around to implementing it I may or may not need to add more triggers for it to work.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: kosmos_

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.371 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn