Calendar Year Plan - prorated throughout year

13 years 3 months ago #151624 by rodsdesign
Hi,
If I set up a plan for the current calendar year and someone signs up on June 15th - will they be charged 1/2 of the full year's amount?

In other words - can a plan on "this calendar year" prorate down by the time remaining in the calendar year...

thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #151746 by krileon

If I set up a plan for the current calendar year and someone signs up on June 15th - will they be charged 1/2 of the full year's amount?

No, the user will be charged the full amount regardless of what point in time of the subscription.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 3 months ago #151764 by rodsdesign
Replied by rodsdesign on topic Re: Calendar Year Plan - prorated throughout year
hmmmm

then how do we work a scenario where people sign up for a calendar year - but when someone joins in the middle of the year - they don't pay the whole amount.

If i use a 12 month subscription - it works - but the client insists on a calendar year...

Would this be the scenario?
12 month subscriptions - therefore prorated, manually reset the subscription date back to January 1? I don't see any other way - but a ton of work that would be nice to not have to do.

thanks (I do LOVE CBSubs... its the little things that catch you up though...)
Rod

13 years 3 months ago #151922 by krileon

then how do we work a scenario where people sign up for a calendar year - but when someone joins in the middle of the year - they don't pay the whole amount.

You can't, there's no prorating for subscription durations.

12 month subscriptions - therefore prorated, manually reset the subscription date back to January 1? I don't see any other way - but a ton of work that would be nice to not have to do.

Don't understand, changing the subscription date won't refund any amount or anything of the sort. I suppose on request if using Paypal you could refund the user half their purchase amount. You could after 6 months disable subscription to Plan A (full price) and enable subscriptions to Plan B (half) price; this would give the reduced price due to subscribing mid-way through, but takes about 2 clicks every 6 months (could easily automate it with a cron job or something of the sort).

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 3 months ago #151926 by rodsdesign
Replied by rodsdesign on topic Re: Calendar Year Plan - prorated throughout year
the problem with this scenario is that neither solution is what is needed.

I would think that for associations etc. this would be a big issue.

Dues are "due" on January 1, for the calendar year. therefore - the "this calendar year" option is the best. But there has to be flexibility for someone who joins in June... they only pay half. (its the same for any month - the amount is pro-rated - so if they join in September - they only pay 1/4 - then they pay again on January 1)

from what you're saying - there's just no way to do this :(

13 years 3 months ago #152004 by krileon

from what you're saying - there's just no way to do this

This is correct. Best approach I suppose is to create multiple plans and enable/disable them based on the month. You could even automate this using database queries within a new CB plugin utilizing triggers or professional subscriber incubator project CB Queries to fire queries at various CB triggers.

You could also give users "bonus" time for subscribing say 1 month before expiring that will carry over to next year (next year they'd still expire on say January, but maybe they get say 3 months free for next year). Bonus time is only available when using "this XYZ" type durations.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.567 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn