FontAwesome 6 management

6 months 4 days ago #335584 by activha
FontAwesome 6 management was created by activha
Hello
Now that joomla 5 supports the latest font awesome 6, what is the recommended settings for CB ?
Do you use FontAwesome 6 also ? 
Will the setting use FontAwesome conflicts with Joomla ?
Could you precise 
Thanks
Jean

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 months 4 days ago - 6 months 4 days ago #335588 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic FontAwesome 6 management
We do not use Font Awesome 6. CB is still Font Awesome 4. We likely will not be replacing this until CB 3.x when we replace Bootstrap with Tailwind since I'll have to redo all the HTML at that point anyway it'd be a good time.

So you either need to keep both enabled or you need to be sure you're loading Font Awesome 6 backwards compatibility script, which I think might be included with core Font Awesome 6 by default now but I don't know if Joomla 5 is including it.

As for what we plan to replace Font Awesome with it's still undecided (probably heroicons ), but ideally a more stable icon library as Font Awesome changing icon names every major release is too problematic for us.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 months 4 days ago #335589 by activha
Replied by activha on topic FontAwesome 6 management

I don't know if Joomla 5 is including it.

It looks like they don't...
Unless there's a setting that I missed somewhere

6 months 4 days ago #335590 by krileon
Then you'll need to have a Font Awesome account and use their Kit feature to generate a new Font Awesome 6 that includes FA4 and FA5 backwards compatibility font names. Then replace Joomla's with that. You can then turn CBs off.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 months 4 days ago #335591 by activha
Replied by activha on topic FontAwesome 6 management
Not sure it's a good idea, this kind of police loading is blocked by a lot of enterprise browsers.
In order to deal with this I had to download and store locally the fonts used.
That's a pity that Joomla did not add a setting for compatibility.
For now we'll use both 6 and CB 4.7 but font awesome strongly advises against this

6 months 4 days ago #335592 by krileon
My instructions were intending for you to download the files and store them locally in Joomla. You'd be replacing Joomla's fontawesome entirely. I believe Joomla has a means to do this using the resource manager to point to your own fontawesome to avoid override issues during updates.

Aside from that yes you'll need to unfortunately load both. It's just the consequence of a icon library deciding to rename classes with every major release. I don't have the time to keep renaming icons and breaking UIs. We strive to provide stability with our products and fontawesome is the opposite of that.

We likely will be done with font icons in CB 3.x and never have to worry about CSS names for them again. Since we'll have Twig for our template engine we'll just switch to using SVGs for our icons instead of hiding them inside of CSS. This will let us use fragment template files for SVG icons for easy inclusion throughout CB. Icon fonts are also just bad for accessibility as it turns into complete gibberish if a screen reader decides the parse the font.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn