Using CB Subs for non-person entities / resources

12 years 1 month ago #193896 by jimmoeller
I’m using Joomla 1.5.23, CB 1.7.1, and CB Subs 1.2.2.

I have a situation where I’d like to use CB and CB Subs for non-person entities, such as a corporate entry, a resource listing (i.e. capabilities of a lab that can be rented), an opportunity posting, etc. From what I have read (I haven’t actually done all this yet) it looks like CB and CB Subs can accomplish this. I can create different plans under which each of the different entities can be registered. I can create different registration pages that collect the appropriate information for each entity. I can utilize CBSubs Fields Tab Protect to groom the information in the profile tabs. I can create the display (lists) and search mechanisms to provide the appropriate user interfaces. I can even do neat things like charge a fee for a particular listing or posting, and utilize the subscription duration/renewal to enforce the periodic updating of the information.

The one significant problem I see is in the requirement that all email address for each CB / CB Subs entry be unique. I’m certain that we’ll encounter the situation where an individual registered in the system will also want to create a resource listing….and utilize the same email address for each. It doesn’t look like there is an easy way around this….requires hacks to either Joomla or CB…and can potentially result in other problems with the work flows operation of CB (is that correct??).

Is there any way around the unique email address restriction for my situation?

Am I wrong in thinking CB and CB Subs can accomplish this….or are there other CB/CB Subs add-ins that are more appropriate? The unified database search capabilities of having all the entities together is very useful in my situation.

What other issues am I likely to encounter in implementing this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 1 month ago #193910 by nant
Your analysis is correct.

These are all the issues you will encounter when you try to use CB as a directory extensions.

Suggest you look at mosetree and sobi as alternatives as they address the core issue since they are directory listing extensions and that is what you need.

12 years 1 month ago #194227 by jimmoeller
Between Mosets Tree and Sobi2, which one integrates with CB & CB Subs the best?

12 years 1 month ago #194255 by krileon
I would say Mosets Tree as we use it here for our Directory. I however have no personal experience with either and you're best to simply try both out on a test Joomla install (that you can simply delete when done) to see which you like most.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 1 month ago #194310 by nant

jimmoeller wrote: Between Mosets Tree and Sobi2, which one integrates with CB & CB Subs the best?

Actually both have SQL integration queries proposed in the CBSUbs forums, but they need to be tested with latest releases of course.

12 years 1 month ago #194374 by jimmoeller
The essential integration I need with CB and CB Subs is principally in being able to search Mosets Tree or Sobi2 along with CB entries, and then be able to rescrict access to those search capabilities as well as access to Mosets Tree/Sobi2 based on CB Subs plans. Is that possible?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn