Some new users are still able to upload rectangular avatars?

10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #333769 by NFA
Hi,

I only want square shaped avatars, so I use the settings as in the attached screen print for the avatar field.
If people upload a photo, they have to crop it to a rectangular shape.

I cannot reproduce this issue, while using their uploaded rectangular avatar picture on different tested browsers, but some people are still able to upload rectangular avatars on their registration. Does somebody know how I can avoid that from happening?

With kind regards, Noa
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 months 3 weeks ago #333770 by krileon
Please don't paste images into our forums. Kunena unfortunately just doesn't handle them very well. Attach the file directly instead. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please provide the parameters you've set within your avatar field. The cropping typically only takes place if the image is larger than your maximum sizes.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 months 3 weeks ago #333771 by krileon
My biggest guess is the JS for the cropping is failing for them or they've not using the crop selection after upload. Try selecting a file, don't try to crop, and immediately save profile. If that reproduces it that'd help confirm the issue. The cropping is entirely client side and won't be applied server side so if the cropping fails for whatever reason this can happen.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 months 3 weeks ago #333773 by NFA
Sorry ;-)

Today, a user managed to upload an avatar with a size of 343 x 610. When I use that uploaded photo on new user registration, there is no way to keep it rectangular, also if I don't touch the crop and immediately submit the new registraion. On all my different browsers, it will always become a square avatar, like it should.

Okay, maybe those users turned JavaScript off?? Is there nothing we can do then? My layout really doesn't like rectangular avatars ;-)

Thanks, Noa

10 months 3 weeks ago #333774 by krileon
Ok, that's working as expected. Notice the parameter directly says "Maintain Aspect Ratio". It will maintain the aspect ratio of the image they uploaded cropped to your maximum size limits.

There's no way to guarantee a rectangular image without setting "Maintain Aspect Ratio" to "No", which should force the image to your maximum size limits. We don't have a minimum width or minimum height functionality at this time. That's planned in a future release when we replace the client side cropping with full frontend editing functionality (crop, scale, rotate).

As for your design you should be able to just enforce sizing using CSS where necessary (e.g. set width, height, and object-fit styles). This usually isn't a problem though as avatar isn't normally as large as 600px, which doesn't fit within any of the default layouts designs.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

10 months 3 weeks ago #333778 by NFA
Hi Kyle, I think I don't understand you. When I'm using the same 343 x 610 sized image on a new user registration, it always crops to a square image with the size 612x612. That is what I want. Why is that not working the same way on some of my customers?

If it is maximums, will I solve a lot of this cases by reducing the size to something like 200x200? What size do you recommend then as a regular CB avatar?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn