Profile page SEF URLs

14 years 7 months ago #112414 by tisdale
Profile page SEF URLs was created by tisdale
Hi Beat! Following our short e-mail exchange I'm now posting my question here.

As I said, after successfully implementing the answer you gave in this post:
www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,view/id,112180/catid,100/

I now have these URLs, as I wished (while using Joomla core SEF):

www.mysite.com/register
www.mysite.com/forgot-password

This issue of the register/lost details is sorted.

Now, first of all, the question is can the same trick work also for the profile pages.
In other words, when you wrote:
"In Joomla 1.5, you can simply define a menu for the component : Community Builder: register. Then Joomla 1.5's native SEF will use the name of that menu alt name. The menu can be invisible".
Did you mean this is possible only for the registration page, or is it possible also to modify with this the profile pages URLs
so instead of:
www.mysite.com/component/comprofiler/userprofile/john
it would be:
www.mysite.com/userprofile/john

If it is possible, please let me know. But I'm assuming it is not possible.
So if it's not possible, I would like to ask for your help in modifying the CB profile pages URLs created by Joomla core SEF.

In this epic CB forum post:
www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,view/id,2517/catid,20/limit,6/limitstart,114/
DjTrail first suggested the following RewriteRule to be added to .htaccess in order to achieve the desired URL:

RewriteRule ^([^/]+)/?$ /index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user='$1' [L]

Everybody seemed to be very pleased with this change and from what I have read it was working well (for those who knew how to implement it correctly).

However, having tried it myself over the weekend, I don't think that it works anymore in Joomla 1.5.14, unless you'd correct me and say that it should still work.

If it can't work anymore, I reckon it should possibly be fairly a minor modification to the above rule to adapt it to 1.5.14.

Unfortunately, I personally don't have the experience needed to spot what change is needed to modify .htaccess Rewrite rules.

These are the SEF URLs that I am trying to acheive:

either:
www.mysite.com/userprofile/john
or:
www.mysite.com/john

(Whichever causes less possible complications, if any might exist).

I'm glad you said that it's possible to do, and I would much appreciate your help with this.

Thank you!

Post edited by: tisdale, at: 2009/09/30 03:21

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 7 months ago #112421 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Profile page SEF URLs
Hm... with Joomla 1.5 core SEF, the CB menu (the mandatory one, see README and manual)'s alias gives exactly that wished effect...

Best Regards,

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 7 months ago #112430 by tisdale
Replied by tisdale on topic Re:Profile page SEF URLs
Thank you, Beat, but I think we might be talking about two different issues here.

If you're referring to the menu item that links directly to a specific profile page of the logged in user, then I have already done this a couple of days ago:
I went to the Menu Manager -- User Menu. Entered the menu item 'My Profile', and changed the alias
instead of 'log-me-in' to 'my-profile'.
Now, whenever a given logged in user enters the site and clicks on the menu link to 'My Profile' he will reach his own profile page with this URL:
www.mysite.com/my-profile

But just to make it clear, that wasn't my question. I was referring to the URLs of ALL the profile pages.
That is, I have articles with links leading to the CB profile pages of the authors, comments that lead to the CB profile pages of the authors, and whenever ANYONE clicks on these links to view a specific profile page, I would like them to see: www.mysite.com/userprofile/
or: www.mysite.com/
Not just when they go to their own profile page.

So, the question would be, is your proposed solution still valid?
Perhaps I didn't anderstand your answer and it is possible to achieve all this through a menu item, by the alias.

Please let me know if I missed something and didn't understand your proposed process correctly.

Thanks!

Post edited by: tisdale, at: 2009/09/30 03:24

14 years 7 months ago #112431 by Rapunzl
Replied by Rapunzl on topic Re:Profile page SEF URLs
Mine uses Joomla core SEF and has the form: www.mysite.com/userprofile/john with no extra tweaking.

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction

14 years 7 months ago #112452 by tisdale
Replied by tisdale on topic Re:Profile page SEF URLs
Thank you, Jamie. At this stage I guess I'm waiting for Beat to respond to my last question, otherwise it would be impossible for me to pinpoint where the problem is exactly and whether or not we understood each other correctly.
(I would have to rule out if it's a menu item issue, or perhaps if it could be achived through the .htaccess).
Please see my below reply...

Post edited by: tisdale, at: 2009/09/30 03:23

14 years 7 months ago #112475 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Profile page SEF URLs
tisdale wrote:

Thank you, Jamie. At this stage I guess I'm waiting for Beat to respond to my last question, otherwise it would be impossible for me to pinpoint where the problem is exactly and whether or not we understood each other correctly.
(I would have to rule out if it's a menu item issue, or perhaps if it could be achived through the .htaccess).
Please see my below reply...
Alan

This is achievable with htaccess, any URL rewrite is. You just need to build the rewrite properly.

However, comprofiler builds urls with userid generally more over then username.

If for example you want users to access a users profile from www.mysite.com/username directly from typing it into the address bar, then mod re-write can do this.

URL Structures
Userid: www.mysite.com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=USER_ID
Username: www.mysite.com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user='USERNAME'

The rewrite rule in your previous posts should work fine for www.mysite.com/username though. Remove the single quotes for www.mysite.com/userid.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2009/09/28 16:18

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn