[SOLVED] Front End User Field Control Plugin?

14 years 4 weeks ago #130347 by SentientParadox
[SOLVED] Front End User Field Control Plugin? was created by SentientParadox
Hello all!

I'm curious whether anyone is aware of CB plugin that allows users to specifically control who can see which fields on their profiles, including custom fields.

What I'm looking for specifically is for users to have the ability to shut off visibility of fields that are already set to "visible" by the admins, but after turning off the [global] visibility, still be able to render them visible to either individual users or user groups, or both.

For example, I have a visible field for phone numbers. I would like for users to have the ability to render that field invisible to all on the front end, yet then be able to choose individual users or groups (connection lists) they have created that CAN see their phone numbers.

It must be very user friendly. I don't want plugins that show lists in back end languages that only admins understand. It's got to show everything in plain language easy for beginners to understand.

Anyone know of a plugin like this?

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/04/19 20:14

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 4 weeks ago #130350 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Front End User Field Control Plugin?
CB Privacy plugin offered to CB Documentation subscribers should do most of this.

14 years 4 weeks ago #130364 by SentientParadox
Replied by SentientParadox on topic Re:Front End User Field Control Plugin?
Thanks for the info Nick. I was hoping to find something that doesn't require a paid subscription, at least for now.

The sites I need this for are restricted to certain extended family members, for whom the site access is currently free. Therefore I really have to keep the expenses as low as possible. I'm already paying for hosting and a few other apps and plugins with no help from the members.

I will keep this in mind however, as I am considering offering paid installation and support packaging for other families if any or enough show interest in having a site of their own for family branches unrelated to myself. If there is enough interest shown, this may be a good option to offer if it can be covered with a modest additional installation and/or support fee from any additional sites I set up.

Thanks again!

Do you (or anyone) know of a non-commercial free app with no strings attached that will do something similar?

14 years 3 weeks ago #130454 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Front End User Field Control Plugin?
Sorry am not aware of any alternatives. CB Privacy requires a document subscription, which provides access to a large supply of supported plugins from us; so you're not just getting 1 plugin. ;)

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 3 weeks ago #130460 by SentientParadox
Replied by SentientParadox on topic Re:Front End User Field Control Plugin?
Thank you very much krileon. CB Privacy will be well worth investing in the Subscription if these sites take off in the future.

For now, the two sites I have are fairly private, so there shouldn't be many problems. Users will simply have to decide for themselves whether to use the fields, and be aware that all users can see the info.

Not a big deal.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.627 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn