[SOLVED] IE 6.0.2900.2180 Causing Page to Fail

13 years 8 months ago #141321 by Leo51
OK, Sorry if this is posted in the WRONG place but I'm not sure how to phrase the heading.

IE 6.0 has its problems but there are still 100ths of Internet users out there still using it and many of us are loosing traffic because our site will not display in IE 6.0 for some reason or the other due to some, plug, module or component etc, that we have installed.

I use facebook connect on many sites and by chance this morning I went to a computer I found out that a site of mine would not display. Went to another computer with Firefox and all OK. Then I tried a computer with IE 8 and all is well. Went back to the IE 6.0 and realize she in the problem.

I disabled all module and started enabling them back to find out its the CBlogin with the "CB Plugins integration" enabled.

I started searching around the forums here, over at Joomla and other forums but no suggestions or I'm not typing the right search phrase.

Is there a solution directly related to the cblog?

I switched templates still the same issued. I running Joomla 1.5.19 and all of the sites where I use the plug_cbconnect-100 expriencing the same.

Its not too much of a big issue but as I said many users out there could not careless about upgrade and just feel its your site which is not working especially if the issue is on the frontpages as in my case.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/09/07 14:44

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago #141407 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:IE 6.0.2900.2180 Causing Page to Fail
As far as I am aware the Facebook API is not compatible with IE6. Believe least compatible is IE7. Users need to upgrade. It is not possible to provide state of the art features and design then to expect it to work on browsers nearly 10 years old.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 8 months ago #141416 by Leo51
Replied by Leo51 on topic Re:IE 6.0.2900.2180 Causing Page to Fail
That I fully understand but how are we going to tell the many Internet users out there who are still ignorance of the computer or could not careless of the 'know-how' to why they see what they as error and just won’t come back to the site after some browser refresh and keep getting the same error but we still need to them to be counted in our returning number of visitors?

When I started doing web pages back in 1996 when the Internet first came to my country, I started off with Tripod and felt what I was doing on the web was excellent on still a kid wrote me an email and said, [its webmasters like you who should not be on this universe putting all this garbage on the Internet].

Why did he say this to me I had no idea until I open the site in a different browser than Netscape (don’t remember which one).

From then on, I kept going between different web browsers when I build a new website or make changes to a page and this has paid off to my learning process.

We still have a lot of grown ups using the Internet and we need not to forget them but again, I understand the point of the developer(s) they do not really need the same users as I to maintain their business and do not take me wrong. I’m just having a conversation with you and no bad feelings here.

You know what would be nice is if web browser developers would automatically force updates in the background, hahaha.

Many Thanks for this interaction.

Fred

13 years 8 months ago #141441 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:IE 6.0.2900.2180 Causing Page to Fail

That I fully understand but how are we going to tell the many Internet users out there who are still ignorance of the computer or could not careless of the 'know-how' to why they see what they as error and just won’t come back to the site after some browser refresh and keep getting the same error but we still need to them to be counted in our returning number of visitors?

Best approach is a module that detects the users browser and tells them they need XYZ to view your site properly. Many many many sites do this. Most actually have tiny tiny links at the bottom of their pages. There's really nothing you can do about it.

You know what would be nice is if web browser developers would automatically force updates in the background, hahaha.

Windows does if users would some jacking with automatic updates, lol.

At any rate I understand your frustration, but this is where you weigh your losses. You can use the plugin and potentially lose IE6 users but gaining millions of potential users via Facebook or you can keep the few IE6 and lose millions of potential. IE6 officially from Microsoft is "End-Life" and no longer maintained, supported, or cared about from their perspective. Personally I no longer test in IE6, but only IE7 and IE8 (soon IE9 when it releases).

There's just absolutely no way to provide WEB2.0, etc.. glory to a browser nearly 10 years old; literally is not possible. PHP wise, sure as PHP isn't dependent on browser. However HTML/CSS/JS wise is very browser dependent. For the most part FBC uses their REST API but some aspects absolutely must be done via their JS API.

You may want to try documentation subscriber incubator project CB Connect which has the latest Facebook API integrated which may work on IE6.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 8 months ago #141458 by Leo51
Replied by Leo51 on topic Re:IE 6.0.2900.2180 Causing Page to Fail
OK, thanks again for the interaction. I am using the "incubator project CB Connect" - No problems but for those who might have read our conversation here - Playing around, I found out its when you have "Search Engine Friendly URL" ticked that issue occurs so you can either not used Search Engine Friendly URL or as Krileon says,

At any rate I understand your frustration, but this is where you weigh your losses. You can use the plugin and potentially lose IE6 users but gaining millions of potential users via Facebook or you can keep the few IE6 and lose millions of potential.

In my case, I have no idea how many IE6 users come to my site. I just happen to have IE6 on my SAM4 computer because I do not do any surfing from there but occasionally pull up a site from this computer.

OK, conversation over. And again krileon thanks for the work that you guys are doing.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn