Advanced Profile Control

17 years 1 month ago #33576 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Advanced Profile Control
First demo with user types online. It will still take sometime before this is ready for testing. It became more complex than I thought initially (plugin+mambot+component). I need to write an installer for all this, write a readme and do some polishing.

mikko
The topic has been locked.
17 years 1 month ago #33614 by rpitera
Replied by rpitera on topic Re:Advanced Profile Control
Look forward to testing; I have tried to check out the links in your sig that point to it but it mostly times out before rendering a text only version of the site with no CSS or Graphics applied. Even the home page comes up like this.

Other links in your sig have a 192.168.1.10 reference to them so it is obvious none of us will see those ;) ...these appear on some of the menus on your site as well so I cannot use the home page to go to the CB Profile for instance. Just thought you should know.

I have downloaded a coule of your other plugins like the Consolidated Tab plugin - very cool! I like your work.

Post edited by: rpitera, at: 2007/03/16 15:11

Post edited by: rpitera, at: 2007/03/16 15:14
17 years 1 month ago #33616 by mikko
I was not aware of broken configuration, thanks.

The user profile editing seems to be broken, but user types work well. You may check this now if you want.

mikko
17 years 1 month ago #33619 by rpitera
mikko wrote:

I was not aware of broken configuration, thanks.

The user profile editing seems to be broken, but user types work well. You may check this now if you want.

mikko

It's been like that for awhile and I didn't know if I'd look like a jerk if I pointed it out,just in case you were working on something. Renders quickly and correctly now.

I registered for an account and was presented with a "User Type" selection; I chose 'demo'.

When I completed the registration form, I received this error message:
[code:1]Warning: Missing argument 3 for advancedprofilecontrol::checkType() in /var/www/joomla/components/com_comprofiler/plugin/user/plug_advancedprofilecontrol/advancedprofilecontrol.php on line 24
[/code:1]
and then the rest of the page rendered to say that I could login now. The login was successful and took me right to my profile page (how did you do that?)

I went to editing my profile: I knew there would be an error so the display didn't phase me much.

I was able to successfully choose my own base template, and my profile image (from a selection, no option to upload my own). While I was able to add values to both list tabs, neither of them saved the data when I updated. Don't know if any of that means anything based on the 'demo' profile but thought I'd report it anyway.

Does the user always select the profile or can we assign one to him? Can profiles be based on the existing Joomla AROs; for example, I'm using Registered and Author users to differentiate my two subscription levels. How would this relate to your "Profile Types"?

Also, it looks like I may end up using JACLplus at some point (unless I can getup to speed on J!1.5 and if or when all my other components are compatible :blink: ). Will APC be developed with the eventual ability to work with JACLplus?

I know these may be premature questions but I just wanted to get them out there to you.

Post edited by: rpitera, at: 2007/03/16 16:12

Post edited by: rpitera, at: 2007/03/16 16:14
Attachments:
17 years 1 month ago #33623 by mikko
Thanks for the bug reports. I worked really late yesterday, so I must have missed these because of being so tired ;) Took the site down until these are fixed.

rpitera wrote:

Does the user always select the profile or can we assign one to him?

This is a configurable option:
  1. Each type has a flag whether user can use this type when he registers or not.
  2. One profile is set as default profile. In case a profile type is not specified in the url to the registration page the system assigns default type or asks for type from the user depending on settings.

Can profiles be based on the existing Joomla AROs; for example, I'm using Registered and Author users to differentiate my two subscription levels. How would this relate to your "Profile Types"?

Also, it looks like I may end up using JACLplus at some point (unless I can getup to speed on J!1.5 and if or when all my other components are compatible :blink: ). Will APC be developed with the eventual ability to work with JACLplus?

Each profile type has a JACL or ARO group (if JACL is not installed). When a user type is assigned, this are updated.

mikko
17 years 1 month ago #33625 by rpitera
mikko wrote:

Thanks for the bug reports. I worked really late yesterday, so I must have missed these because of being so tired ;) Took the site down until these are fixed.

Actually it looked quite good given the time since you announced it. It's wierd because I put a post on another devs board (one of the people in this thread strangely enough) describing an app like this and saying how it would do really well - at roughly the same time you were announcing this :laugh: .

I guess 'great minds think alike' and all that...

rpitera wrote:

Does the user always select the profile or can we assign one to him?

mikko wrote:

This is a configurable option:

1. Each type has a flag whether user can use this type when he registers or not.
  2. One profile is set as default profile. In case a profile type is not specified in the url to the registration page the system assigns default type or asks for type from the user depending on settings.

So then this would be a part of the CB registration process. That works well because depending on whether I use AEC for my clients subscriptions or the CB team solution (Assuming it becomes available to test at some point), not having to hack or duplicate the CB reg process but instead 'hook' into it will open APC to either solution. Good for me (selfishly) but also good for APC...

rpitera wrote:

Can profiles be based on the existing Joomla AROs; for example, I'm using Registered and Author users to differentiate my two subscription levels. How would this relate to your "Profile Types"?

mikko wrote:

Each profile type has a JACL or ARO group (if JACL is not installed). When a user type is assigned, this are updated.

So you do have support for JACL or standard ARO right now? Awesome. Keep me posted and let me also know when you get to the point that you'd like to test it out on a 'foriegn' environment. I can set up a testbed (have one ready to go) at the clients' site. They are supportive of your efforts ;) !
Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn