phpBB Connector V1.0.2 Beta now available

18 years 1 month ago #7927 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:phpBB Connector V1.0.2 Beta now available
That may be the issue... If you are using the "phpBB Component" (from JoomlaStuff.org / tim-online.nl)... Currently the connector does not work with the phpBB Component. He moved some tables around and probably some underlying code as well...

If you are using the "component" version then a diff on tables used and code would be VERY helpful. After 1.0.3 comes out I plan to see about making the connector work with the "phpBB component"... for that work to be done I would need to do the same diff you are mentioning.

Are you using the "phpBB Component"? or is there still something else to dig into...

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 1 month ago #7932 by nethead
Replied by nethead on topic Re:phpBB Connector V1.0.2 Beta now available
geeffland wrote:

That may be the issue... If you are using the "phpBB Component" (from JoomlaStuff.org / tim-online.nl)

I am not using the "regular" non CB component from tim-online!

If you are using the "component" version then a diff on tables used and code would be VERY helpful. After 1.0.3 comes out I plan to see about making the connector work with the "phpBB component"

Its probably easier to just patch the phpbb source files instead.

Are you using the "phpBB Component"? or is there still something else to dig into...

No, i justed installed the files it so i can investigate on how to remove the need for a wrapper/window. My idea is to use your php bridge, which is already partially working, and then patch my phpbb 2.19 files myself. I need this ASAP and i figure youre quite busy atm.

cheers,

nethead

18 years 1 month ago #7935 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:phpBB Connector V1.0.2 Beta now available
If you PM me the info I can take a look... but here are the things to check (some of which I know you already checked)

1) Plugin installed (currently V1.0.2 Beta)
2) Plugin Published
3) phpBB installed into same database as Joomla
4) Users have been setup in phpBB tables as well as CB/Joomla tables (either via control panel import/export or manually setting their phpBB ID from user managment screen)
5) Forum directory is set correctly in Plugin Parameters (if not you should be seeing error messages)
6) Check timeout values for phpBB.
7) Apply patch for "remember me" logins

Note: IIS Server issues may exist... working on alternatives

Basically the starting a session is pretty basic. It looks in the "forum" directory that is defined in the parameters... Then is loads the default files from phpBB to get config information and to have access to its session functions (session_begin and session_end IIRC)

Then if it finds a match between the phpBB ID and an allowed active phpBB User ID it starts a session for that ID. At this point no verification of usernames or passwords occur... assumes that this happens with the Admin since he is the only person that can assign phpBB ID numbers.

FWIW, [Untitled] posts are actual post which are untitled... just turned out that without the parent Topic's title they don't mean much... This part is getting a major overhaul in 1.0.3... so hopefully it will be much better.

Hope this helps, Again PM me if you want me to take a quick peek at how the plugin is or isn't working.

Thanks for sharing your experiences (now and later) for the plugin and how you are tweaking it and phpBB.

Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

18 years 1 month ago #7961 by nethead
Hi Greg,

again, thx for your support. I looked into the matter and did discover that i did a mistake with the phpbb installation under the joomla directory.

I did copy my regular phpbb installation into the "forum" subfolder but i didnt change phpbb's "config.php" to point at the joomla database and i overlooked that some config parameters are stored in a sql table called "php_config".

After realizing this i did adjust the config.php and some rows in the sql table "phpbb_config":
[code:1]
update phpbb_config set config_value="my.sites.domain" where config_name="server_name";
update phpbb_config set config_value="forum/" where config_name="script_path";
update phpbb_config set config_value="cookieNG" where config_name="cookie_domain";
[/code:1]

Unluckily i still have the following problems:

- users are not automatically authenticated with phpbb
- within the "CB profile", users who had been imported from phpbb dont have a "top-menu" displaying "community, connections" etc. As i stated before, the listing of a users phpbb postings in the user-profile is working!

Whats your advise on how to go on from here? My guess is that installing a pre phpbb_connector backup and starting allover again would be the best aproach. I guess i need to drop all the phpbb_ tables in the joomla database. Should i try a clean install of phpbb or should i try to copy my current installation and add the above mentioned config changes?

And one last question: Could you please clearly state how to link to the phpbb forum from within joomla?! Do i just need to create a wrapper to "<my.domain>/forum" or do i somehow need to address the "plug_phpbbconnector" CB plugin?!

cheers,

Arnd

18 years 1 month ago #7963 by nethead
geeffland wrote:

Basically the starting a session is pretty basic. It looks in the "forum" directory that is defined in the parameters... Then is loads the default files from phpBB to get config information and to have access to its session functions (session_begin and session_end IIRC)

Then if it finds a match between the phpBB ID and an allowed active phpBB User ID it starts a session for that ID. At this point no verification of usernames or passwords occur...

But dont i need to start phpbb with a modul provided by your plugin?

Heres my setup: PHP 4.1.2, Apache/1.3.33 (Debian GNU/Linux), mysql Ver 12.22 Distrib 4.0.17, phpbb 2.0.19

best regards,

Arnd

Post edited by: nethead, at: 2006/03/09 10:44

Post edited by: nethead, at: 2006/03/09 11:17

Post edited by: nethead, at: 2006/03/09 11:17

18 years 1 month ago #7973 by mgrds
I have installed this plug in and its absoluteley brill - thanks!

but is there a fix to stop people who don't log in at the main pages then logging in on the forum.

if they do this they are not them logged into joomla - and can't use the joomla features that need them to be logged in!

My users have been on phpBB a long time but Joomla & CB is new to them so they are habituated to using the phpBB logon

as far as can see than means got to
1)block or redirect the phpBB login at the bottom of the page
2) ditto the login menu item at the top of the page
3) ditto the login and read you private messages option that shows when you are not logged in

has anyone already sorted this for subsilver template?

sorry if this has been dealt with elsewere - i did s search of the site and couldn't find anything

Mark

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn