Moderator Permissions Bug

10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #231096 by rscanman
Moderator Permissions Bug was created by rscanman
CB version 1.9 on Joomla 3.1

I have created a Joomla group for my moderators and I have set the following:

CB Configuration Manager -> moderation -> Allow moderators to edit user profiles ->
CB Moderators and above.

Now my other user groups are a children of my moderator group. Because this Community Builder setting only allows the moderator group to moderate parent groups and not children I believe this to be a bug.

Can someone fix this please?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 9 months ago #231185 by rscanman
Replied by rscanman on topic Moderator Permissions Bug
bump

10 years 9 months ago #231188 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Moderator Permissions Bug

rscanman wrote: CB version 1.9 on Joomla 3.1

I have created a Joomla group for my moderators and I have set the following:

CB Configuration Manager -> moderation -> Allow moderators to edit user profiles ->
CB Moderators and above.

Now my other user groups are a children of my moderator group. Because this Community Builder setting only allows the moderator group to moderate parent groups and not children I believe this to be a bug.

Can someone fix this please?

CB > Configuration > Options > Permissions

new usergroups have zero permissions by default, if you added new ones you need to give them permissions to do stuff

if a new moderator usergroup was created then that moderator usergroup needs permission
create, delete, edit, and edit state should be allowed for proper usage

config and admin interface should be not allowed

then this usergroup will work fine moderating users

10 years 9 months ago #231190 by rscanman
The only permissions that are listed are: Configure, Access Administration Interface, Edit, and Edit State. Create and delete are not listed. Here is an example of my ACL:

---Editor
----Management
----Publisher

I have made the "Management" group the moderator and they have Edit and Edit State, as well as the Publisher group. Since both the Management and Publisher are both children of Editor, the Management still doesn't have access rights to change user profiles etc.

The weird thing is, if I made the Management group a CHILD of the Publisher group, then they do have the access rights to make changes to user profiles etc.

This doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't a parent item have more access rights to child items and not the other way around? Perhaps I'm still missing something here?

10 years 9 months ago #231215 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Moderator Permissions Bug
You can find user permissions within CB > User Management > Options > Permissions.

This doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't a parent item have more access rights to child items and not the other way around? Perhaps I'm still missing something here?

You're looking at the Parent > Child relationship incorrectly. For Joomla it's reversed. Meaning a Child has more access than a Parent. Please see the below example.

Public
- Manager
- - Administrator

In the above scenario Manager has more power than Public and Administrator has more power than Manager.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 9 months ago #231219 by rscanman
If a child has more permissions than the parent why do they still inherit their permissions? For an example, in your case of

Public
-Manager
--Administrator

If you were to set denied on edit for Manager, the Administrator will inherit that trait.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.720 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn