[SOLVED] Function of the avatar gallery

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #149895 by empy
Hi,

Our CB site is targeting crew members of SAR vessels. We have "official" portraits of many users and I would like to offer easy use of these as avatars through the gallery. But I run into some problems. (Joomla 1.5.22, CB 1.3.1. I have set the profile image size to 300x300 and the thumbnails to 75x75. GD2 in use.)

1. The gallery seem to assume that all images are of thumbnail size. If I put 300x300 pixel images there, the gallery display where the user selects a gallery image is totally broken, and extends to the right far beyond the template.

2. If the user still selects an image, it is not rescaled as an uploaded image would be. CB uses the 300x300 image even in lists where the thumbnail is supposed to be used, thus breaking the layout of these lists.

I would of course like to offer 300x300 pixel images in the gallery to ensure high picture quality in the profile page. But it seems like the gallery only can handle small avatars that are scaled down to thumbnail size.

So my question is: Is this by design or did I run into a bug?

Mike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #149959 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Function of the avatar gallery
Gallery images do not use thumbnails. Nor do gallery images respect image H/W configuration, such configuration is strictly for uploads. The thumbnail and re-size is done upon upload. I recommend editing your gallery images and sizing to something "in-between" so they'll display appropriately in most locations.

So my question is: Is this by design or did I run into a bug?

By design.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 4 months ago #149986 by empy
Replied by empy on topic Re:Function of the avatar gallery
Hmm, that would make the lists look bad as some users will upload images, and thus have the real thumbnal size in the list. And some would have theese "in-between" images.

The best option is probaly to let the users download the collection of photos, pick te right one and then use the upload function. Or let the moderators do the work...

Mike

13 years 4 months ago #149994 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Function of the avatar gallery

Hmm, that would make the lists look bad as some users will upload images, and thus have the real thumbnal size in the list. And some would have theese "in-between" images.

You could use CSS to down-scale images on your userlists. Example as follows.

[code:1]
.cbUsersList .cbThumbPict {
max-height: 75px;
max-width: 75px;
}
[/code:1]

The above should restrict the images to the maximum size specified in the CSS. This would prevent up-scaling of users photos as well if they're less then 75x75.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 3 months ago #150615 by empy
Replied by empy on topic Re:Function of the avatar gallery
Ahh, of course. That's a brilliant solution.

Thanks.

Mike

13 years 3 months ago #150748 by kenlyle
Replied by kenlyle on topic Re:Function of the avatar gallery

krileon wrote: The thumbnail and re-size is done upon upload.

Krileon, could you share where the size to which avatars are resized is set? I am seeing them going to 60px, which is a bit tiny.

Thanks,
Ken

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn