[SOLVED] Field visibility in profile

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #149899 by empy
Hi,

I have set up CB 1.3.1. to use separate fields for first and last name when registering and updating the profile. I use the predefined CB field formatname everywhere when I need the name. I use formatname in the listings, but sort on lastname. This way I can display names as "firstname lastname" but still conveniently get the listing sorted by lastname.

The problem here is that the firstname and lastname fields show up with the "not visible in profile" icon when editing the data. It is technically correct, as these fields never are shown anywhere. But the data input into them is showed through the formatname field, so the "not visible" guidance is in practice incorrect and misleading.

I could of course add the firstname and lastname fields somewhere in the profile. But is there another solution to this problem?

Mike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #149958 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Field visibility in profile

I could of course add the firstname and lastname fields somewhere in the profile. But is there another solution to this problem?

You could hide the profile visibility icons within CB configuration on the General tab. You could also move those fields to a not display on profile position and configure the fields to display on profile (because of the tabs position they won't actually be seen).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 3 months ago #150616 by empy
Replied by empy on topic Re:Field visibility in profile
Thanks,

Yes, I got this sorted out using these instructions. But the internal logic could also deal with this dependence automatically. Something like this

firstname_visible = firstname_in_profile OR formatname_in_profile
lastname_visible = lastname_in_profile OR formatname_in_profile

Mike

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn