Custom permissions

6 years 2 weeks ago #303590 by jhoefs
Custom permissions was created by jhoefs
Hello!

I have CB installed with a site I am developing, and I have a question.

I created a tab entitled "journal" using the BLOG plugin. The idea is to give the user a personal journal that only they can see/use.

Only I haven't been able to figure out how to get the permissions right. I played around with "special", not understanding what the consequences of that were (Doh!) and only got access BACK to my site via manual database changes, as for a while the entire Joomla admin menu went away!

I tried adding a "custom" ACL just for author, thinking that the user would be the author of their own profile, but that didn't work, either. What I want is for that tab to show on the users profile when they login, and to not show if anyone else is looking at their profile. Can you help me do this?

Thank you!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 2 weeks ago #303623 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Custom permissions
You'll need CB Privacy for that. You'd then set the tabs privacy to private so only the profile owner and moderators can see it. There's no way to do that using ACL only.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 2 weeks ago #303648 by jhoefs
Replied by jhoefs on topic Custom permissions
Thanks for the reply.

Before I purchase, I'd like to know a few things. If I purchase CB Privacy now, will it be compatible with CB in 5 years? Am I guaranteed forward compatibility?

I would like for the user to be able to decide whether that tab is public or not. Will I be able to do that?

Also, I'd like to still have a blog feature - my idea is to copy the blog plugin into a new plugin, and rename it, then use one for blog, one for the journal. Will that work?

6 years 2 weeks ago #303665 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Custom permissions

Before I purchase, I'd like to know a few things. If I purchase CB Privacy now, will it be compatible with CB in 5 years?

Not likely. Things change. It's why we offer subscriptions with months of upgrades.

Am I guaranteed forward compatibility?

No.

I would like for the user to be able to decide whether that tab is public or not. Will I be able to do that?

Yes, you'd just enable user privacy controls for that tab. They can then set the privacy to whatever privacy rules you allow.

Also, I'd like to still have a blog feature - my idea is to copy the blog plugin into a new plugin, and rename it, then use one for blog, one for the journal. Will that work?

No, you'd have to completely rewrite the plugin to avoid conflicting with each other.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds