Questions about user blogs

5 years 6 months ago #307982 by j2studio
Questions about user blogs was created by j2studio
HI, new to CB. I am looking to include the ability for users to create blog posts and have a few questions that hopefully someone might have answers for:
  • I had to install JCE Editor so users can add images to their posts. TinyMCE did not have an image button. My question is, can I dictate where these images will be placed on the server? As it stands now, the users will have access to all images/directories in the entire Joomla installation. I don't think that is advisable. I would like to create a directory called user-blog, or something like that, where all their blog images will be added for the sake or organization
  • How do I create a menu for user blog posts on the front end? I only see the ability to view a blog post when looking at a profile.
  • How do I create a menu item for certain categories of user blog posts? Or all blog posts?
  • I don't see how i can show only the excerpt of a user blog post either. When clicking on a user blog post I see the entire post.

Hope you'll pardon my ignorance but I am new to CB.

Any help appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 6 months ago #308001 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Questions about user blogs

I had to install JCE Editor so users can add images to their posts. TinyMCE did not have an image button. My question is, can I dictate where these images will be placed on the server? As it stands now, the users will have access to all images/directories in the entire Joomla installation. I don't think that is advisable. I would like to create a directory called user-blog, or something like that, where all their blog images will be added for the sake or organization

CB has absolutely no control over this. That is entirely a feature of your WYSIWYG editor.

How do I create a menu for user blog posts on the front end? I only see the ability to view a blog post when looking at a profile.

If you mean for CB Blogs then the blog posts are typically stored to Joomla if you set the model to Joomla so you can use normal Joomla content menu items to view blog lists, etc.. If using the internal model there is no option for this beyond the blog tab on their profile, which you can link directly to that tab using a Joomla menu item to CBs profile page and using the tab parameter.

How do I create a menu item for certain categories of user blog posts? Or all blog posts?

If using Joomla model use normal Joomla content component menu items. Otherwise there is no option for this with the internal model.

I don't see how i can show only the excerpt of a user blog post either. When clicking on a user blog post I see the entire post.

Again, no option for this unless you're viewing the blogs from Joomlas content component views.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 6 months ago #308012 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Questions about user blogs

j2studio wrote: HI, new to CB. I am looking to include the ability for users to create blog posts and have a few questions that hopefully someone might have answers for:

• I had to install JCE Editor so users can add images to their posts. TinyMCE did not have an image button. My question is, can I dictate where these images will be placed on the server? As it stands now, the users will have access to all images/directories in the entire Joomla installation. I don't think that is advisable. I would like to create a directory called user-blog, or something like that, where all their blog images will be added for the sake or organization
  • How do I create a menu for user blog posts on the front end? I only see the ability to view a blog post when looking at a profile.
  • How do I create a menu item for certain categories of user blog posts? Or all blog posts?
  • I don't see how i can show only the excerpt of a user blog post either. When clicking on a user blog post I see the entire post.

Hope you'll pardon my ignorance but I am new to CB.

Any help appreciated.

As far as JCE, I know you can configure things in such a way that each user has their own area for image uploads.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn