Portrait quality

1 year 1 month ago #332731 by 4creator
Portrait quality was created by 4creator
Hello,

Is there a way to improve the quality of portraits created by uploading images?
Currently, I can select Auto or GD2 for the Image Software setting in the Images tab of Configuration. I assume this has something to do with image quality.

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1 year 1 month ago #332740 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Portrait quality
For highest image quality setup and install ImageMagick server side then you can select it for the image software. Beyond that what you see is what you get with GD2. For avatars you shouldn't need large than 200x200 full size and 100x100 thumbnail. CB 3.x will probably expand on this further generating standardized sizes for the new designs.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4creator

1 year 1 month ago #332761 by 4creator
Replied by 4creator on topic Portrait quality
Thanks krilleon for the information about ImageMagick. I'll check it out.

1 year 1 month ago #332762 by 4creator
With ImageMagick installed on the server, I can now select ImageMagick in the Image Software within the Community Builder. However, there is no improvement in image quality. My research has led me to believe that it gives instructions for image size and quality when uploading an image. So I'm guessing that there is a source within the Community Builder that controls the image quality?

ChatGPT said that:
For example, when using the "convert" tool in ImageMagick, the quality of the output image can be controlled by the "-quality" option. The following command sets the quality of the output image to 80%:
convert input.jpg -quality 80 output.jpg
This same principle applies when using ImageMagick through a programming language, such as PHP. The quality of the output image is specified as an option when calling the ImageMagick functions.

1 year 1 month ago #332773 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Portrait quality
None of that should matter if you've client side resizing enabled (works for image fields and CB Gallery) as the resizing will be done by the users browser in which case the quality is kept at 100%. You're obviously not going to have great looking images if you're taking a 50x50 image and upscaling it to 200x200 though and there's no fixing that. If client side resizing isn't enabled then server side resizing is left at defaults which I believe is 90% (so expect 10% compression loss).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

1 year 1 month ago #332788 by 4creator
I have attached a sample image as it seems that the bottom of the problem is not shared about the image quality.
The sample image shows three images that can be compared. 

Uploading via Community Builder will result in loss of image detail. Take the collar line, for example; it gives the impression of an image from 10 years ago. It is a very old image quality. Images uploaded via other extensions do not have this rough quality.
Attachments:

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds