Better URL for profile pages?

7 months 1 week ago #335147 by Kontrive
Better URL for profile pages? was created by Kontrive
Currently, when someone views their own profile, the url is:

domain.com/component/comprofiler/userprofile

Is there a way to make this:

domain.com/username

If someone tried to share a link to their own profile, it wouldn't work currently

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 months 1 week ago #335149 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Better URL for profile pages?
You'd have to create a custom 404 redirect to do that. Joomla needs to know where a user is going and /username doesn't tell Joomla anything. So you'll always have a menu alias in profile URLs. So if you create a public Joomla menu item to CBs profile page then you'll have the following URL.

domain.com/menu-alias/username

The menu-alias tells Joomla they are trying to reach CBs profile page. So for example if your menu item has a menu alias of "profile" you'd have the following.

domain.com/profile/username

Which is exactly what we have here at Joomlapolis. For example my profile URL is as follows.

www.joomlapolis.com/profile/krileon

As for the username in the URL that can be customized using the alias field in CB > Field Management.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kontrive

7 months 1 week ago #335151 by Kontrive
Replied by Kontrive on topic Better URL for profile pages?
Thanks very much for taking the time to offer such a comprehensive explanation - I appreciate it :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

7 months 1 week ago - 7 months 1 week ago #335154 by Kontrive
I know this will be out of the scope of your support, but if you could just point me in the right direction...

I've got the URL sorted out now, apart from when I am using the JLex Comment plugin. In its comment section, if a username is clicked, it goes to the full profile URL, not the shortened one (component/comprofiler/userprofile/username instead of profile/username).

Could you just let me know if the solution to this will be either Community Builder related, or something with the JLex plugin?

Thank you! :)

7 months 1 week ago #335155 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Better URL for profile pages?
My guess is your 3rd party extension isn't properly building the profile URL. We've no control over what 3rd party extensions do, sorry. If you want a article commenting solution that truly integrates with CB I recommend CB Activity.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kontrive

7 months 1 week ago #335156 by Kontrive
That's great advice - I'll certainly look into that :) Thanks again for your help!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.349 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn