Editing Permissions for Tabs and Fields in CB: Feasibility and Add-Ons Usage

5 months 2 weeks ago - 5 months 2 weeks ago #335900 by 4creator
Hello,

We are interested in setting permissions for who can edit each tab and field in Community Builder. Is this feasible with the current specifications, or could it be possible by using Add-Ons? I have reviewed information about CB Privacy and CB Conditional, but I am unable to determine if they meet our requirements. Our ideal is that users will no longer see tabs or fields for which they do not have editing privileges.

P.S. 
I am aware that it is possible to enter the following example into the Profile Edit Value Layout in Field Management:
[cb:if usergroup !includes "10"]You do not have the right to edit this field.[/cb:if]

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 months 2 weeks ago #335910 by krileon
So you want the tabs to display in profile view, but not profile edit? CB Conditional and CB Privacy can do this. CB Privacy can give the option for your users to also decide on profile view visibility of tabs/fields, but if you don't need that functionality I recommend CB Conditional. If you need the tab hidden from both profile view and profile edit you could just adjust the Access parameter of the tab itself.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 months 2 weeks ago - 5 months 2 weeks ago #335920 by 4creator
Thank you for your prompt response, which I always appreciate. I apologize for not providing a complete explanation earlier.
Our site has three user groups. On our website, the CB profiles are primarily designed for one group, while the other two groups do not require profiles. Therefore, the only tab necessary for these two groups is Contact Info. This is the background to my question.

This time, my question focused on editing permissions for tabs and fields. However, I believe I can solve my issue by creating two separate menus, if Community Builder doesn't force the Joomla Edit User Profile menu to change to Community Builder's User Profile Edit. This is because assigning access permissions to individual menus allows me to control the display of profile editing pages for each user group.

Is there a way to use both Joomla and CB Edit User Profile menus together?

5 months 2 weeks ago - 5 months 2 weeks ago #335922 by 4creator

I found a solution to my issue.
I went to the Community Builder System plugin and noticed that there is an option to disable Redirect URLs.

However, the issue remains that the Edit User Profile in Joomla does not allow us to edit the Display Name we have established by the CB field.

5 months 2 weeks ago #335927 by krileon

I do not recommend doing this.

I went to the Community Builder System plugin and noticed that there is an option to disable Redirect URLs.

I do not recommend doing this either. This creates a backdoor into your site bypassing CB. You need to be sure all other means of registration and login have been disabled.

Your best option is CB Conditional. You can then hide tabs based off the profile owners usergroups or view access levels. This way some profiles only have bare minimum tabs while others don't.

It's also possible to use CB Template Changer to assign different templates to different users in addition to generating custom template themes, but that's purely visual and won't stop validation rules from triggering.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4creator

5 months 2 weeks ago #335938 by 4creator
I appreciate your accurate information and advice, krileon!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.604 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn