Summary Tab in Profile Edit

6 years 4 months ago #299173 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Summary Tab in Profile Edit

Can you explain this a bit more? Rows and columns new to me here.

Create a multicheckbox field and under the Global tab adjust the Rows and Columns parameters as needed to create a grid display. For example you could use the below.

Columns: 4
Rows: 0

Which gives something like the below.

I don't suppose there is any way to have them open directly under the checkbox itself?

Nope, you'd probably have to use single checkboxes if this is strictly required otherwise you could display those under the multicheckbox as a list of fields or on separate tabs even. 64 individual checkboxes just seams like an awful lot of options for users to go through. Then 64 text fields to go along with it.

Not ideal but my client may insist it's all together in the frontend view. Another reason laying this out manually may work better.

Profile view doesn't necessarily have to match profile edit. You can move fields around or even group them up using Custom HTML fields with substitutions. You'd then just set the original tab the fields are on in a not shown on profile position.

I want to say you have been extremely helpful and I am amazed how powerful this system is.

Glad I could be of help. :)

I am surprised I have not heard more about it. I have certainly heard about it being a Joomla user for many years. Just never how powerful and well supported it is.

We get by mostly with word of mouth. We're a small team of 3 with 2 being full time so we don't really have the man power to go chasing leads or the funds to be pushing advertisements.

Do you go to the Montreux Jazz Festival too?

I live in the US so I've never been.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 4 months ago #299178 by Spiralmind
Replied by Spiralmind on topic Summary Tab in Profile Edit
Hello, my client wants the text area fields to appear under the checkboxes so it's single checkbox extravaganza time. Oh well it is what it is.

A few questions came up with my client.

1. So tabs in the edit area and a single area on the profile is what they want. I believe you have spelled this out for me. To show the 6 tabs of content they filled in during profile edit in one place I must use a custom HTML field with substitutions? They will be changing/adding things over time and I would like to make this more automated so I don't have to redo a HTML field each time. Is there another way to combine tabs into one frontend position another way? Stack them somehow?

2. Gallery fields will be used upload files/photos but we do not want them shown to anyone but us and them. Can they be set this way? Since it's field I assume yes. Do I use ACL or privacy?

3. He has indicated a couple users manage more than one of their communities but I don't think you can use the same email twice which is logical. Can a user in your system manage 2 profiles? I am fine with the login being a dummy email if they can just get contacted separately. I can't imagine it's possible but I told them I'd ask. Not a big deal for them to setup a new Gmail account for this.

Now that I have this figured out I am off to build the beast. I will be circling back if I need help with the summary page, etc. Hopefully not too much more since I have bothered you enough.

Cheers

6 years 4 months ago #299179 by krileon

To show the 6 tabs of content they filled in during profile edit in one place I must use a custom HTML field with substitutions? They will be changing/adding things over time and I would like to make this more automated so I don't have to redo a HTML field each time. Is there another way to combine tabs into one frontend position another way? Stack them somehow?

Yes, you can actually just use tab substtutions in a Custom HTML field and substitute in those entire tabs contents. Example as follows.

[cb:usertab tab="TAB_ID_1" /]
[cb:usertab tab="TAB_ID_2" /]
[cb:usertab tab="TAB_ID_3" /]
[cb:usertab tab="TAB_ID_4" /]
[cb:usertab tab="TAB_ID_5" /]
[cb:usertab tab="TAB_ID_6" /]

2. Gallery fields will be used upload files/photos but we do not want them shown to anyone but us and them. Can they be set this way? Since it's field I assume yes. Do I use ACL or privacy?

Yes, use CB Privacy as described in my below reply.

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/153-professional-member-support/237784-summary-tab-in-profile-edit?start=18#299159

3. He has indicated a couple users manage more than one of their communities but I don't think you can use the same email twice which is logical. Can a user in your system manage 2 profiles? I am fine with the login being a dummy email if they can just get contacted separately. I can't imagine it's possible but I told them I'd ask. Not a big deal for them to setup a new Gmail account for this.

You should be able to register the same email address twice using an alias. Example as follows.

test+alias_1@domain.com
test+alias_2@domain.com

Both of the above should send emails to the following.

test@domain.com

Not sure why you'd need to be registered twice though on the same install.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #299183 by Spiralmind

Not sure why you'd need to be registered twice though on the same install.

Since we are using this for a bird community based on cities some cities have the same person managing both. I would think they would want separate emails but not everyone does. So the alias won't cause any issues that you can think of?

I just need to add a +alias_1 between the actual email and @domain?

They would need to login with this then too? I have the system set to login via email not username since I do not want them to be able to edit the username. I set this based on the city name. I could probably allow it that way if needed.

6 years 4 months ago #299186 by krileon

Since we are using this for a bird community based on cities some cities have the same person managing both. I would think they would want separate emails but not everyone does.

Maybe worth looking into using CB GroupJive for your communities as it's basically designed for exactly what you're trying to do using profiles alone. It's like community Groups on Facebook basically. Demo for GJ is available below.

All Groups:
demo.cbdemosites.com/addons/cb-groupjive/all-groups

Categories of Groups:
demo.cbdemosites.com/addons/cb-groupjive/all-categories

You could have a category per city for example then groups in those cities would be the communities. Users can join as many groups as you allow and they can create as many groups as you allow.

So the alias won't cause any issues that you can think of?

Only issue is if you send an email to both users they'll basically get the email twice.

They would need to login with this then too? I have the system set to login via email not username since I do not want them to be able to edit the username. I set this based on the city name. I could probably allow it that way if needed.

Yup, they'd have to login with the alias email address.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

6 years 4 months ago #299236 by Spiralmind
Hello, things have continued to evolve since I am figuring this out better. I don't need a summary page anymore since I have the Update button redirecting back to the edit profile now.

I have all my hidden fields required and set to be progress indicators. They are named with the point value at the end and the progress field is in a Joomla module on the side of the edit profile page. If I can adapt a PHP addition feature that's great if not they can hopefully add up the points themselves.

So the last thing is a review & submit tab they will fill in and this will alert me they are done.

My question is can I somehow make this last page act like a form of sorts. When the check off the fields and fill in the info I need it will open a Submit button that is hidden and opens when they check "I confirm all requirements are meet" or something of the sort. Clicking this button will update the profile and send me the last tab's information or other information on other tabs too.

Is this possible? Can the submit button be set to just be the Update button triggered to update the profile? I guess I can tell them to click Update one last time but this would be slicker. Either way.

Again, thank you for all your help. I certainly will be reviewing this and telling people on the forums about it!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.723 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn