[SOLVED] Upgrading My Community Template

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #154458 by envee
Hi there,

I am in the process of doing some patching and I want to upgrade My community template from 1.1 to 1.3. I have made custom changes to CSS files for both the template and the CB template plugin. I have backed these files up. Now, I assume that the process is as follows:
1) I uninstall 1.1,
2) I install 1.3
3) I install the module and plugin accompanying 1.3
4) I copy over the css files of 1.3

A) is this the correct procedure?
B)Will i need to uninstall the module and plugin or can I just install again?
C)I compared the css files and it seems that they are identical - is this correct?
D)I searched all over but could not find a changelog / new features list for 1.2 and 1.3 I will update anyways.

Many thanks - appreciating your help as always! - PS - cracking new site well done!

Nick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago #154578 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Upgrading My Community Template
Please provide what Joomla release you're on as this is very vital to the upgrade process. Also please read your documentation as this includes upgrade procedures. In addition to this please review the README files included with the CB package which also details upgrade processes.

Your CSS will no longer be valid as from 1.1 to 1.4 we have changed quite a lot; you should compare the new and the old with Winmerge or something of the sort so you can see what has changed and adjust as necessary.

Please note 1.4 is latest and not 1.3, you'll want to upgrade to 1.4. You can see our progress at the forge at the following URL. Simply see closed tasks for the version of your choice.

forge.joomlapolis.com/projects/cb?jump=welcome

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 2 months ago #154613 by envee
Replied by envee on topic Re: Upgrading My Community Template
Hi Krileon

J! is 1.5.22, CB is 1.4, but I am asking about the template "my community" which i have modded the css for (not CB - I think that's what you meant, right? Sorry for the confusion:) ).

I compared the CSS files of my community 1.1 and 1.3 and they seem identical, so I assume that all upgrades are to the core of the template.

I've read the documentation for the template but it has not changed from 1.1 to 1.3 and because it is aimed at installations doesn't cover upgrading. I'm sure that it is pretty straightforward I just don't want to make any mistakes, especially with the CB plugin mod template upgrade.

Does the the process I mentioned in the previous post make sense to you or do i need to also uninstall the template's accompanying cb template plugin?

THanks again for your support, and the forge progress and winmerge tips are really useful!

Many thanks
Nick

13 years 2 months ago #154618 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Upgrading My Community Template
You do not need to uninstall. You should simply install it ontop of it self, which should upgrade it. Once upgraded you should compare the two (your old CSS and the now installed CSS) and re-add your differences (if none just copy your CSS back over). Either way just ensure you backup your old CSS until results are satisfactory.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 2 months ago #154643 by envee
Awesome! Much Easier than I thought! Thanks Krileon!

13 years 2 months ago #154695 by envee
Hmm - got this message:
It was not possible to copy the selected file.
JInstaller::install: Failed to copy file: ...index.php to ...index.php

I changed my default template to another template, restarted wamp and tried again.
SO basically i tried the hard way - ALMOST:
1) Uninstalled template and reinstalled
2) Installed CB plugin (over previous version was fine)

3) The module - mod_cbcontent - this is what is causing me the pain now...
If I uninstall and reinstall i loose all my settings. So i decided to just copy over the files from the zip into the modules\mod_cbcontent folder

There are three files i need to copy, but one is almost the same as another:

\files\mod_cbcontent.php
\files\mod_cbcontent.xml
\mod_cbcontent.xml

I copied the files from the files directory, but what do I need to do with the mod_cbcontent.xml in the zip's root? it isn't exactly the same as the other file.

Any suggestions? I don't want to mess anything up and find out i did something wrong a month down the road...

Many thanks!
PS - made the css upgrade as you suggested with winmerge- worked a treat, thanks!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn