[SOLVED] A Quick Question Before I Update to CB 1.4

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #157676 by big_rich
I'm currently running CB1.3.1 but hope to update to 1.4 this weekend.

The readme file makes it look painless but I wanted to clear up a couple of quetions before I update if possible.

1. Languages
I understand that all core modifications will be lost. Am I right in thinking that this will include the default language but not the other languages I have installed ?

I use default_language for english. Is it necesary (or best) to install an English language plugin before I update CB and copy the changes into that so that it will not be lost when doing the update ?

I see that there are also new versions of the language plugins available. Do I need to install the newest version ? If so how can I maintain the numerous changes I've made in my existing language files? Presumably theres a new section in the spanish.php and the cbteamplugins.php which I can just append into the old ones and use those right ?

2.Templates
With CB1.3.1 I have to use "tables" mode with my joomla template to keep everything laid out how I want it. Will I be able to use this template with cb1.4 ?

Most of the styling for CB is handled in my Joomla template css files, but I also moded the template.css in the cb default template (before it ocurred to me that doing so could cause problems when updating cb !). Presumably I can't use the template from cb 1.3.1 right ?

Thankyou

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 1 month ago #157723 by nant

big_rich wrote: I'm currently running CB1.3.1 but hope to update to 1.4 this weekend.

The readme file makes it look painless but I wanted to clear up a couple of quetions before I update if possible.

1. Languages
I understand that all core modifications will be lost. Am I right in thinking that this will include the default language but not the other languages I have installed ?

I use default_language for english. Is it necesary (or best) to install an English language plugin before I update CB and copy the changes into that so that it will not be lost when doing the update ?

I see that there are also new versions of the language plugins available. Do I need to install the newest version ? If so how can I maintain the numerous changes I've made in my existing language files? Presumably theres a new section in the spanish.php and the cbteamplugins.php which I can just append into the old ones and use those right ?

All default language files will be over-written.
Yes, new language plugin formats have been introduced in CB 1.4 (mainly for Joomla 1.6 compatibility). You can access the CB 1.4 english language package from the forge and follow instructions here:
forge.joomlapolis.com/projects/lan-cb/wiki

to create your own version (merged with your changes). New strings are usually appended to files.

2.Templates
With CB1.3.1 I have to use "tables" mode with my joomla template to keep everything laid out how I want it. Will I be able to use this template with cb1.4 ?

CB 1.4 has a configuration parameter for CB to use table or div mode.

Most of the styling for CB is handled in my Joomla template css files, but I also moded the template.css in the cb default template (before it ocurred to me that doing so could cause problems when updating cb !). Presumably I can't use the template from cb 1.3.1 right ?

Thankyou

Yes modifying the default template or any core CB template will be a problem since CB upgrading will over-write.

You should create your own template plugin based on your modifications and install it to protect yourself in case of future upgrades.

As always backup before you upgrade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: big_rich

13 years 1 month ago #157724 by krileon

I understand that all core modifications will be lost.

Yes, any changes to CBs core will be lost.

Am I right in thinking that this will include the default language but not the other languages I have installed ?

Correct, the default language is installed by CB so if changes were made then on-upgrade those changes will be lost. You should keep a backup before upgrading.

It's usually best to have your translations in a language plugin (english if language is english) as you won't lose changes on upgrading CB.

You MAY need the new language plugins if your existing plugins don't have the all the new strings (perform a DIFF between yours and latest to see). New language plugins I believe are also structured with our new TAG support introduced with 1.4 to support Joomla 1.6 (also works in Joomla 1.5). Yes, you will lose your changes if you upgrade. You should always keep a backup then do a DIFF between the two files and add the missing strings to your current plugin or fix the strings you've changed to the new plugin.

Yes, CB 1.4 allows usage of Table or DIV based layouts. Is completely your choice and configured within CB configuration on user profile tab.

Your changes will be lost, you can't keep a previous release template for a future release. You'll need to re-add your changes. It's typically best to create your own template and that template contains your modifications or your changes will be lost on upgrade.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #157752 by big_rich
Replied by big_rich on topic Re: A Quick Question Before I Update to CB 1.4
Thanks for the prompt and detailed replies guys.

Just one question.

Kyle, when you said "perform a DIFF" what did you mean exactly ?

It sounds like something that would save me a lot of time manually searching thru files

13 years 1 month ago #157763 by krileon

Kyle, when you said "perform a DIFF" what did you mean exactly ?

If a windows user you could use WinMerge (completely free), which allows comparing files and highlights all the differences.. also can generate/apply patches, etc.. Very handy tool to have installed! Don't know of any suggestions if on linux, always been a windows only user.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 1 month ago #157772 by big_rich
Replied by big_rich on topic Re: A Quick Question Before I Update to CB 1.4
Thanks Kyle that sounds like a realy handy tool to have !

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.472 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn