[SOLVED] Login redirects. Want it to stay on current pg

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #158543 by tmediastudio
Scenario:
A registered user comes to the site.
Starts clicking down into pages.
Suddenly the user hits a registered section and realizes they need to login. The login is always present at the top of the page.

PROBLEM:
If they use that CB login it redirects them to the root of the site. Shouldn't it keep them where they are in the site? Instead they are forced to retrace their steps.

It is creating a lot of confusion and frustration for users. Is there a setting for this? We did not have this issue when we used the Joomla reg and login.
We upgraded to CB 1.4 (2) days ago and I was hoping it would correct the problem. It did not.

Joomla 1.5.6 CB 1.4

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 1 month ago #158579 by krileon
This has been debated numerous times, short answer: no.

The reason being is this is a "double-redirect" situation. CB saves its current page as the redirect page, but the current page is an access error page. This means it can't redirect back to the page prior to the access error page. This is something we'll be addressing with CB 2.0 as we upgrade the workflows or possibly a later release before 2.0 if we find an acceptable solution; open to suggestions of course.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 1 month ago #158593 by tmediastudio
Replied by tmediastudio on topic Re: Login redirects. Want it to stay on current pg
Thanks!

Well, for now we have a work around. I re-enabled the joomla reg in the congig. The joomla login now only appears in the scenario described (User hits a registered page). Allowing the user to be redirected to where they were or stay right there after they login. This only works if the user uses that joomla login that is put in the middle of the page. If they bypass it and use the CB permanently embedded in the template, well, they are sent home. We have been testing and it doesn't seem to have screwed anything up, yet.

Thanks again.

13 years 1 month ago #158626 by krileon
Don't recommend having Joomla registration enabled as this allows users to easily bypass CBs registration unless you've CBSubs or a Joomla system plugin install to at least redirect away from Register to CBs.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 1 month ago #158647 by tmediastudio
Replied by tmediastudio on topic Re: Login redirects. Want it to stay on current pg
Here is what we did. We set the system configuration to Yes, allow Joomla registration. We turned off the joomla component and plugin. All links are direct to CB. So, when the issue comes up that they need to login or register, the Joomla login is actually sending them through the the CB login and reg. Or so it appears thus far. By logging in they don't get redirected but are brought back to their current navigation point. Register brings them to the CB form. I know, we are playing with fire but we needed a resolve. I was getting a lot of flack from the higher powers about the redirect to the root.
Thanks!

13 years 1 month ago #158707 by krileon
I see, thank you for sharing your solution. Given the core components were disabled there should be no issues.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn