Whishlist - lock and update documents

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #190814 by crony
Hello,

I would like a user of a group to be able to lock/unlock a document.
In fact, it could be just a graphic flag with "forbiden" on the file, adding the user that modifies the file, and the date of locking, as the document will still available to download for other users.

The purpose is to indicate to other users (notification by mail also) that someone is updating the file, so others know something is happening, and won't add modifications based on an obsolete file.

An option to update this file (and not upload a new one) is also needed.

The listing files may also need a creation time, and last updated time.

This could be very usefull to our users. (at the moment, they're using an other solution, and they have to send mails to lists to tell "ok it's locked", then "ok, unlocked", but sometimes there's some errors with this workflow)

Thanks !

J! 4.x - CB 2.7.3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 2 months ago #190921 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Whishlist - lock and update documents
It's a basic file upload system. Nothing of the sort will be added. Next major feature planned for it is support for folders however. I recommend using Docman or something of the sort if you need advance file management.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 2 months ago #190966 by crony
Replied by crony on topic Re: Whishlist - lock and update documents
We already use docman, but the thing is to have a different system for a different purpose.
Groupjive helps us to have groups completely independant, files are also not indexed (as we are automating indexing Docman documents.)
Typcically, the usecase I'm describing allows to keep a file system very simple and completely autonome and it allows a better workflow that will help accepting GroupJive as a new more advanced solution in our intranet.
You may consider integrating this functionnality on a paid work ? (as you can of course integrate it freely for your next release of GroupJive)

Thanks !

J! 4.x - CB 2.7.3

12 years 2 months ago #190972 by krileon
Please in more detail provide what the proposed features would do and how they'd function.

As I understand the lock feature would lock the file from being downloaded until it's unlocked. Basically a publish/unpublish type feature? If this is the case that's also planned (as well as upload Approval); I've plans to extend that feature to photos, etc..

There are already notifications (in GJ 2.5) for file updates, but only group owners, category owners, and site moderators can subscribe to them. Do you recommend this be open to other users of the group? File delete is also limited to group owners, category owners, and site moderators which could also be opened up.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 2 months ago #191005 by crony
Replied by crony on topic Re: Whishlist - lock and update documents
I think it's a bit different of a publish/unpublish functionnality.

The files (mainly doc, excel, pdf) are not unpublished in this case, but marked as :
"someone is blocking the file because he's going to update it, so just download it at the moment for consulting it, please don't add anything else till this file is marked as unlocked or updated"

But it needs 2 new proper functionnaliy :

The lock/unlock feature, which is a simple alert I guess :
1.A user is blocking the file ( by clicking a button "block" near download, delete etc...)
2.The name of this user and the date/hour of beginning of blocking is added under the file.
3.A mail (optional , like other tabs of GroupJive) is sended to all members of this group saying : "user x as blocked file x at this time".
4.After the user as updated the doc file locally, he may unlock it : mail sended to say, "user x as unlock the file : be carefull, it has not been updated at this time!" and under the file the mention is "last unlock date : 13/02/2012 16h57" )

Administrator/moderators of this group should unblock an abusively locked files (or forgotten locked...)

But he may also click on "update current file" which leads to the proper 2nd functionnality, meaning that the file can be updated, and a message is sended to all users of that group "user x as updated file x at 13/02/2012 16h57".

The lock/unlock is to alert someone is working on the file, the unlock feature is there in case there was an error with locking it, or if finally there was no modifications (for instance, due to a phone call saying something else to do finally...)

Normaly a user that have locked the file and really modified it should use directly "update the file".

In this case, the updated file should be marked automaticaly as non locked. (because it has just been updated...)

I think that's all...
Thanks !

J! 4.x - CB 2.7.3

12 years 2 months ago #191055 by krileon
Unfortunately is too specific. The best I can propose is Unpublish/Publish of files. I'll also review opening up Update/Delete notifications to regular group users so they can be notified when an item is updated or deleted.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn