GDPR CBSubs Data Download in Addition to CB Data

5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #304840 by wjgadmin
Hi guys
I would like to know how we can allow users to download their history and/or delete it per the GDPR guideline. For example is there a way for the user to log into their user profile and have an option to see all of their subscriptions, history and so on with an option to download it in a zip file, and a button to delete their information.
Currently we have them contact us via our privacy policy if they’d like their account deleted which is most likely the best solution. But per the guidelines I believe they should have the option to download their stored data. Can you please advise? Thank you!

UPDATE: to add to the above, I am aware of the CB Privacy add on which states that it will allow the user to download their date in a future release, however this pertains more to CBSubs. For example, will it be able to include all CBSubs subscription information, history etc...? Because this is information that is being stored via CBSubs and would need to be available to the users to download correct?
From what I can see with CB Privacy, it looks like it only allows the users to download their CB data like name, username and pretty much all CB fields. So I'd like to know more about the ability for users to get CBSubs data in addition to this or will it be included already? Thank you
As you can imagine, we just want to give the users access to view/download all the data we have about them and I believe their subscriptions are a huge component of that as well as their history.

Just to let you know our setup, we display all of the CB stored fields on the user profile so they have full access to see it all there. Then we allow them to contact us if they'd like to be deleted from our db and we will manually handle that. So it's really just the ability for them to download their info :)

Last question; since this is the only way to be compliant with law, will this become an included part of CB & CBSubs in future releases? Currently there is an additional charge for CB Privacy, but without it CB/CBSubs is not compliant so just wondering if you will update this as an inclusion so your product is fully compliant for us all without additional requirements :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 10 months ago #304861 by krileon
Please read my blog post below. I've covered all GDPR topics there.

www.joomlapolis.com/blog/kyle/18788-gdpr-compliance-with-community-builder

Please everyone I do not want to have to repeat my self a hundred times across the forums. Read the blog very carefully. If you've further questions contact a lawyer.

Last question; since this is the only way to be compliant with law, will this become an included part of CB & CBSubs in future releases? Currently there is an additional charge for CB Privacy, but without it CB/CBSubs is not compliant so just wondering if you will update this as an inclusion so your product is fully compliant for us all without additional requirements

This is not correct at all. Compliance does not mean automation. Automation is convenience. The functionality in CB Privacy is not going to cross over into any other plugins. If you want the automated functionality CB Privacy provides you will need to purchase CB Privacy. The alternative is handle deletions and data exports manually or wait for Joomla 3.9 privacy component integration plugin (which will be free).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 10 months ago #304877 by wjgadmin

krileon wrote: Please everyone I do not want to have to repeat my self a hundred times across the forums. Read the blog very carefully. If you've further questions contact a lawyer.

Not asking you to. If you read my question carefully you’ll see that I’m asking specifically about CBSubs data which is not clearly answered in your blog, which I already read...
Furthermore I am well aware that I’d need to contact a lawyer if we have our own internal compliance questions, but we’re already compliant. The only thing that is causing a problem is your component. Every other component we use has already implemented the export button option very easily, from what I’ve read on your forum this seems common.

krileon wrote: This is not correct at all. Compliance does not mean automation. Automation is convenience. The functionality in CB Privacy is not going to cross over into any other plugins. If you want the automated functionality CB Privacy provides you will need to purchase CB Privacy. The alternative is handle deletions and data exports manually or wait for Joomla 3.9 privacy component integration plugin (which will be free).

Let me clear this up for you, basically what you’re saying here is that the expectation is for people to purchase your product which is absolutely not compliant in itself unless your users know how to not only export data via sql or by other means (all require a pretty extensive amount of knowledge that many site owners don’t have) or have a developer do it. So while you can it convenience, I would call it a courtesy for all of your users that continue to pay for your products. To add to that, we purchase your products (have for years) because it is a full component and the expectation would be that it would continue to be that way and not require us to do additional things just to remain lawful.

Please done mistake my message for rudeness, rather being direct as you were. So I’ll ask again regarding the CBSubs information and being exported?
Additionally, it doesn’t seem right that you guys would ask us to export data from your component because we don’t even begin to know what all your component stores regarding history and logs which is another reason that if you all don’t create an automated export option, we’re stuck with lots of issues trying to figure out how and what to export. Hopefully you’ll see that we’re only asking for you all to help us onside by regulations. While I understand and even agree it is more work for you and most unfortunate, however it’s the same for us all & it is just business. So we can all feel confident continuing to purchase your products for years to come.

5 years 10 months ago #304879 by wjgadmin
In addition to my above reply, I’ll be purchasing the CB Privacy additionally however I still need confirmation that it will export all CB & CBSubs data to be fully compliant, otherwise there wouldn’t be a point in us purchasing.
I completely understand this plugin is capable of doing much more than what we need which is why I asked about making CB/CBSubs have the capability of exporting data as that would be only a small part of what CB Privacy can do I imagine.
Lastly before we purchase the plugin, we’d also like to know if we will need to purchase it multiple times. There is simply no need for us to have an additional subscription with you guys (professional) because we don’t need anything more. So if we purchase the privacy plugin would we be eligible to download it when you add the export data options? Thanks

5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #304895 by krileon

Not asking you to. If you read my question carefully you’ll see that I’m asking specifically about CBSubs data which is not clearly answered in your blog, which I already read...

We do not have any form of data export functionality. This is clearly stated in the blog. All of that, at this time, must be done manually via phpmyadmin database export. You've 30 days to comply with data export requests, if you should ever get one, so should be ample time to perform a phpmyadmin export of rows attached to their user id.

Furthermore I am well aware that I’d need to contact a lawyer if we have our own internal compliance questions, but we’re already compliant. The only thing that is causing a problem is your component. Every other component we use has already implemented the export button option very easily, from what I’ve read on your forum this seems common.

We will be providing export functionality by integrating directly into Joomla 3.9 privacy component. CB Privacy will also eventually have a data export field for users to do this easily from profile edit themselves, which will include triggers for plugins to extend the export even further. This again is clearly stated in the blog.

Let me clear this up for you, basically what you’re saying here is that the expectation is for people to purchase your product which is absolutely not compliant in itself unless your users know how to not only export data via sql or by other means (all require a pretty extensive amount of knowledge that many site owners don’t have) or have a developer do it. So while you can it convenience, I would call it a courtesy for all of your users that continue to pay for your products. To add to that, we purchase your products (have for years) because it is a full component and the expectation would be that it would continue to be that way and not require us to do additional things just to remain lawful.

As stated in my blog..

Please note we will be developing, for free, an optional integration plugin for Joomla 3.9 privacy component . Such component is meant to centralize GDPR compliance and easy the process. This will be the best solution as it allows all extension to easily meet compliance in a centralized location.

I don't expect anyone to have to pay for anything to be GDPR complaint. I expect everyone to be patient is all.Once the Joomla 3.9 privacy component is available. We will integrate with it. It will be 100% free.

Please done mistake my message for rudeness, rather being direct as you were. So I’ll ask again regarding the CBSubs information and being exported?

All of our backend table views will eventually have import/export functionality as we simply want that built into our API. That however has nothing to do with GDPR implementation, but I guess it could be used for that. I've no idea when this will be implemented.

In addition to my above reply, I’ll be purchasing the CB Privacy additionally however I still need confirmation that it will export all CB & CBSubs data to be fully compliant, otherwise there wouldn’t be a point in us purchasing.

At this time CB Privacy does not export anything as stated in my blog. When it has export functionality it will provide the necessary triggers for plugins to integrate with it to extend the export beyond profile data.

Lastly before we purchase the plugin, we’d also like to know if we will need to purchase it multiple times. There is simply no need for us to have an additional subscription with you guys (professional) because we don’t need anything more. So if we purchase the privacy plugin would we be eligible to download it when you add the export data options? Thanks

We do not provide lifetime purchases. All individual plugin subscriptions come with 6 months of support and updates. So if the export functionality is released within those 6 months then no you won't have to renew. I do not know when it will have the export functionality, but I assume within the next 6 months is a reasonable guess that it will be available. Again, we plan to integrate with Joomlas 3.9 privacy component when possible and will be free.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nant

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn