Community Builder 2.0 Next Generaton announcment

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #241341 by krileon

thewebsurfer wrote: if i may: you dont need just a core improvement, your major need for making a competitive component is:
- a front end entirely "rethinked";

This has already been accomplished. The entire frontend has had its HTML rewritten with Bootstrap 3. This allows A LOT more flexibility and functionality. Between the new HTML output and the multiple tab positions the layouts and designs you can easily put together for a unique site (or match existing social sites if you want) can be accomplished with a few clicks. There are event more plans to improve the frontend further, but I think we've made a huge step compared to our previous usages.

thewebsurfer wrote: - more interaction beetween users

Next major release of CB Activity will take care of this with its new posting capabilities. The idea is to provide a stream that users are familiar with on other social sites.

thewebsurfer wrote: - better graphic (icons is just a little thing, and i'm afraid of your frontend improvement is about just those little thing, like grid list and square avatar, i really hope i'm wrong)

We've implemented full usage of Fontawesome for all our icon usage. They are text icons that can be re-styled to fit any design very easily. Even normal font color changes will apply to icons. Check out Fontawesome for an idea of what's possible/available.

thewebsurfer wrote: - avoid every awful js alert() and use a flexible and scalable notification system

I'm pretty sure I've removed all the alerts and replaced them with Joomla message queues giving full flexibility of normal Joomla queue usage (very handy). If I've missed any then please let me know and they will be replaced.

thewebsurfer wrote: - the registration form should be an entity APART: the developers may needs a fields order in registration and a DIFFERENT one in profile page

You want separate field order for registration, profile view, and profile edit? Please clarify further as am absolutely interested in the idea.

thewebsurfer wrote: - an integrated Event system

Events as in calendar events like jEvents and other event based extensions? This is planned as a new plugin after CB 2.0 (I've 10+ projects planned; we aren't stopping with CB 2.0!). If you mean events at various behavior we already do have this in the form of Triggers, which I have extended with I believe 30 new triggers (more to come!).

thewebsurfer wrote: - the possibility of find users with similar interest (in other words: a Tag system)

I'm not sure how to benefit from a tag system for users. You mean to be able to tag someones profile? That maybe possible as a new "Tag" fieldtype plugin as a new project after CB 2.0. It's already pretty easy to find users using search criteria on a userlist.

thewebsurfer wrote: - you need an ajax serious integration, for little operations like change photogallery page or add connection button, and so many others, you NEED ajax.

We're working to implement ajax usage straight to the core. For example CB Core Fields Ajax is planned to extend to all fieldtypes and moved into the core. Various trivial actions should also become more ajax based by CB 2.1. I don't think we'll have the endpoints and usage in for CB 2.0 for some stuff, but we're getting there.

thewebsurfer wrote: - CB activity is kinda useless for a serious usage: if a user upload 3 photos or edit his profile twice in a row, those records should be merged and well formatted..as every other social component does

I agree completely and it's being rewritten completely after CB 2.0 to provide much better usability. This isn't a part of CB core though so it's not something CB 2.0 is held back by. Once it's at the state we want it to be we'll merge it into core as we've done with CB Blogs, CB Articles, CB Forums, and multiple other plugins. Our plan is to provide a much more active release schedule with plugin merges.

As Beat said we'll be addressing all the new goodies going into Beta 3 with a new announcement once released. We've been working pretty hard on some pretty neat things. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #241342 by thewebsurfer
Replied by thewebsurfer on topic Community Builder 2.0 Next Generaton announcment
i will answer tomorrow to your post, in meantime i just say, my site is already online and all my team is kinda pessimistic about a succesful operation at the currest state for the actually "usability" of the community, i just hope the new cb will come out soon.
i like to be honest: hurry up, youre already about 3 years late..

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #241359 by krileon

i will answer tomorrow to your post, in meantime i just say, my site is already online and all my team is kinda pessimistic about a succesful operation at the currest state for the actually "usability" of the community, i just hope the new cb will come out soon.

With the exception of a few bugs CB 1.9 is completely fine for live sites. We have many many many users using CB for some really cool sites. However, they would need to come forward and show you as we respect the privacy of our users and do not divulge sites shared with us.

i like to be honest: hurry up, youre already about 3 years late..

We're working as quickly as we can. CB 2.0 did not start development 3 years ago so I'm not so sure we're 3 years late. CB 2.0 was only started last year as CB 1.10. With that said CB has and always will be Open Source so anyone is welcome to contribute tested and stable additions, which we can review for implementation into core.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #241367 by thewebsurfer
Replied by thewebsurfer on topic Community Builder 2.0 Next Generaton announcment

We're working as quickly as we can. CB 2.0 did not start development 3 years ago so I'm not so sure we're 3 years late. CB 2.0 was only started last year as CB 1.10. With that said CB has and always will be Open Source so anyone is welcome to contribute tested and stable additions, which we can review for implementation into core.

i meant 3 years later with the competitors.

I'm pretty sure I've removed all the alerts and replaced them with Joomla message queues giving full flexibility of normal Joomla queue usage (very handy). If I've missed any then please let me know and they will be replaced.

there is still an alert when you add/remove a connection

You want separate field order for registration, profile view, and profile edit? Please clarify further as am absolutely interested in the idea.

let's see a simple case study:
as default profile page, i have avatar on the left, user information (country, age, gender) on the right. If i want to add a textarea field "personal description" below the avatar i have to create a new tab, but a text area like that is still "user information" stuff! doing that the user has a new (useless) tab in edit profile page containing just that textarea field.
so not only a field order, a different tab structure for registration, profile and edit page would be good.
i think using a wysiwyg/drag&drop editor like chronoform for registration page (but also for profile page and edit page) would fits great, you would have a more clean backend and manage so easly instead of set each field on/off registration, on/off edit page.
i know im talking about a completely different backend, but this would be a huge improvement: the newbie developers will find a very easy customization, and the professional developers, exactly like chronoform, will understand a wysiwyg editor doesnt mean tiny customization possibilities.
i dont know if i explained so well :)

10 years 3 months ago #241376 by krileon

i meant 3 years later with the competitors.

Ah, ok, thank you for clarification.

there is still an alert when you add/remove a connection

It's a redirect now that uses a Joomla queue message so no more alert. This can then probably progress later to ajax based.

as default profile page, i have avatar on the left, user information (country, age, gender) on the right. If i want to add a textarea field "personal description" below the avatar i have to create a new tab, but a text area like that is still "user information" stuff! doing that the user has a new (useless) tab in edit profile page containing just that textarea field.
so not only a field order, a different tab structure for registration, profile and edit page would be good.
i think using a wysiwyg/drag&drop editor like chronoform for registration page (but also for profile page and edit page) would fits great, you would have a more clean backend and manage so easly instead of set each field on/off registration, on/off edit page.

We have a layout editor planned. I can't provide the exact details right now, but we'll be sure to announce it in detail soon. This should allow you to have multiple layouts for each view (registration, profile edit, and profile view) that can easily be customized using drag and drop or some form of custom WYSIWYG editor.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
The following user(s) said Thank You: pepperstreet

10 years 3 months ago #241406 by Roland

krileon wrote: We're working as quickly as we can. CB 2.0 did not start development 3 years ago so I'm not so sure we're 3 years late. CB 2.0 was only started last year as CB 1.10. With that said CB has and always will be Open Source so anyone is welcome to contribute tested and stable additions, which we can review for implementation into core.

To be honest... As written on Joomlapolis-Homepage => presentation "Community Builder beyond social sites" => slide 49 => "To be released this year!" (30.05.2010) ;-)

So it's now over three years...

www.simple-quality.de - The Quality-Web-Portal

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn