Community Builder 2.0 RC date announcement

9 years 9 months ago #247377 by KatoKalin
Replied by KatoKalin on topic Community Builder 2.0 RC date announcement
If I recall correctly in the past you have been announced RC almost similar to stable. Has this been changed?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 9 months ago #247378 by nant

KatoKalin wrote: If I recall correctly in the past you have been announced RC almost similar to stable. Has this been changed?

The magnitude of changes contained in CB 2.0 is huge. We have been testing internally (and are continuing to test) and we have been calling for others to test also and provide feedback.

At this point we don't really have the feedback on coverage, so the prudent thing to do is to recommend that CB 2.0 RC for new site projects.

If you have a live CB 1.9.1 site and you wish to install CB 2.0 RC over it, then I would strongly recommend to first clone the site and install CB 2.0 on the cloned site and test it thoroughly.

Note for all: You should ALWAYS backup before any upgrade (even the initial nobrainer one click Joomla upgrades) and if possible test your upgrades on cloned sites before you apply them on your live production sites.

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #247379 by nant
Adding here that we have been taking all precautions possible to allow CB 1.9.1 plugins to work on CB 2.0 RC. SO if you upgrade a CB 1.9.1 site to CB 2.0 RC everything hopefully should work (we will report things that don't).

But of course we need testing feedback from everyone to certify this.

At this point you will not be able to install old CB 1.9.1 plugins on a CB 2.0 RC site (unless you manually change the version number in the plugin XML file to trick compatibility).

9 years 9 months ago #247457 by Mr_Anonymous
Replied by Mr_Anonymous on topic Community Builder 2.0 RC date announcement
Hi Nick and Team, First of all, thank you for your amazing work!

I havent tried CB yet and I am really looking forward to using CB 2.0. I do have a few questions and hoping you can assist me:

1) Do you have an approx ETA on when the 2.0 stable release will be out? I completely understand it has to do with the number of bugs reported and fixed in the RC release, but just a rough idea will be helpful since it gives me an idea on how approach this in my project.

2) Is the CB 2.0 also available in free version when its released or is it only available on a membership plan?

3) Do you have a working demo site with CB 2.0 installed? If not, I think it will be very helpful for new users since the teaser photos just making me anxious and I hate waiting. I want to know more, try more, and exciting to explore it more... :)

4) Lastly, what is the package size for this component? Meaning the size of the JS and packaged CSS (with / without bootstrap included).. I would like to get a rough idea on how big these assets are with gzip / minification enabled as well as unoptimized size.

Thanks again Nick and everyone else involved in this development of this amazing component.

Cheers!

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #247463 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Community Builder 2.0 RC date announcement

1) Do you have an approx ETA on when the 2.0 stable release will be out? I completely understand it has to do with the number of bugs reported and fixed in the RC release, but just a rough idea will be helpful since it gives me an idea on how approach this in my project.

Hopefully before end of this month.

2) Is the CB 2.0 also available in free version when its released or is it only available on a membership plan?

Yes, core CB is always free. Once CB 2.0 goes stable we will make it available to free users.

3) Do you have a working demo site with CB 2.0 installed? If not, I think it will be very helpful for new users since the teaser photos just making me anxious and I hate waiting. I want to know more, try more, and exciting to explore it more...

No, we'll have a new demo site when CB 2.0 goes stable. If anyone wants to try it now I recommend subscribing to Advanced when RC releases this week.

4) Lastly, what is the package size for this component? Meaning the size of the JS and packaged CSS (with / without bootstrap included).. I would like to get a rough idea on how big these assets are with gzip / minification enabled as well as unoptimized size.

Currently around 3.6MB. For comparison CB 1.9.1 is 4.3MB. All JS files come with minified versions. All generated CSS has been ran through a compiler so it's still readable, but optimized (no wasted space).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #247481 by Mr_Anonymous
Replied by Mr_Anonymous on topic Community Builder 2.0 RC date announcement
Hi Kyle,

Thank you so much for your prompt response. Stable release by end of this month, wow! Thats really amazing.

"No, we'll have a new demo site when CB 2.0 goes stable. If anyone wants to try it now I recommend subscribing to Advanced when RC releases this week."

As a feedback, I hoped you had like a basic plan that is a bit cheaper than Advanced membership. Something in between Free and Advanced will be really good for users like me. Just my view. :)

"Currently around 3.6MB. For comparison CB 1.9.1 is 4.3MB. All JS files come with minified versions. All generated CSS has been ran through a compiler so it's still readable, but optimized (no wasted space)."

How much js and css including BS (if minified) will it load when viewing the CB Profile page (for example)? I am trying to work out an approximate page load speed.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn