jomsocial or CB1.2? what is better?

15 years 5 months ago #81314 by kubbah
jomsocial or CB1.2? what is better? was created by kubbah
hi people!
as you know jomsocial is released!
I just would like to know why should I continue to support CB and not to buy jomsocial...
why are you better guys???

sincerly.. jomsocial seems to be more efficent and very very more user friendly!
activities wall, album integrated and some other caracterisics...
seems to be more professional and designed (template) better..
hmm... please give me a reasen to stay with you!

your fan! ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 5 months ago #81317 by nowwecanmakewar
Replied by nowwecanmakewar on topic Re:jomsocial or CB1.2? what is better?
I have bought and test/used JomSocial for my localhost site, currently I have been making a community for a couple months and have been messing around with it since it was finally put on sale.

To make this short and sweet.

CB = Flexability.

JomSocial = Install and go. Not many options (yet).

Although I can get very frustrated with CB at times, JomSocial nor Joomunity has nothing on CB at this time except, which I think we can all agree and unless your a CSS expert, is nice designs. I have been reading a lot about the new CB that is set to release (tomorow I read) and I am very excited and it seem thats going to offer most of what JomSocial offers and not to mention the countless extensions you can download and tweak to your needs.

Only thing I feel that all the communities need is profile types. APC is dead and Proma is 'beta' (though it should really be Alpha because its so buggy its rendered useless at this time).

Well thats my two cents, im not one to usually chime in but I figured not too many people have JomSocial yet so it might be worth something to someone.

To sum this up shortly: if you are just looking for a quick, nice looking site, both CB and JomSocial can do it for you.

If you are trying to make a more complex site and kind of break away from the cookie cutter sites, then id go with CB.

15 years 5 months ago #81318 by kubbah
Replied by kubbah on topic Re:jomsocial or CB1.2? what is better?
yes. I think that about design everybody agree...
CB should be more user friendly and more aiaxed (facebook example)
the design of cb is not so beautiful...
i really like the jomsocial graphics.. you should work on it...
and not only the joomla template (your mycommunity)
but even different and more "cool" templates for CB..

15 years 5 months ago #81319 by kubbah
Replied by kubbah on topic Re:jomsocial or CB1.2? what is better?
nowwecanmakewar wrote:

JomSocial = Install and go. Not many options (yet).

jomsocial has a very good gallery.. (I registered on theirs website and uploaded some photos)
the wall, friends, pms...
less options??
where?

15 years 5 months ago #81320 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:jomsocial or CB1.2? what is better?
Honestly JomSocial looks like it'll be a good addition to the growing Joomla community.

However, you must keep in mind that CB is in a stable and progressive state already. As well as the large community backing. Many popular components already have CB integrated into their core.

Then you must compare the APIs. You have to decide if you want a more complex and flexible API (CB) or if you want a more simplified hardcoded API (JomSocial).

JomSocial does have a beautiful layout. However you can't ignore the easy of creating such a layout for CB either. As CB layout is driven by CSS leaving the power to display it however you please in your fingertips. A good layout out of the box is great, but do you want to look the same as everyone else?

Remember a pretty layout makes not a functional site!

When comparing to other platforms you must always keep in mind the current time that CB has ahead of these new platforms. JomSocial and many others like it are in their first beta phase or not even past pre-alpha. While CB has stable releases. As the others continue to grow. As to will CB. I can only see the others "catching up" if they have a rather large team with good financial backing.

The next is cost. JomSocial is not free, period. You have to pay to use it. That's all there is to it. You do not have to pay to use CB. You do if you REALLY want to experience the new version before it goes stable, but you do not HAVE to pay to use the product.

Not everyone can afford the luxury of throwing money at each and every companies way (With all the great commercial components. Then you add in your platform. The numbers start to sky rocket). So 1 less forced payment is always a good thing. ESPECIALLY if it's your platform.

A social network site takes many many hours of hardwork. You'll get no easy golden brick road with EITHER CB or JomSocial. Whatever you decide to go with. Just be sure you have the time and ability to dedicate to that platform. It's no easy task to develop a full site then jump platforms. Once you've began production and have a user base. Changing is not an option.

I foresee many new users giving JomSocial a try if they're willing to pay to try it. However all currently developed and advanced CB sites I do not see making the change at all or any time soon.

To put it short. They're both good platforms with different objectives. I urge all to stick with CB as our community helps keep us strong. Jumping on the forums with a question generally gets you an answer. JomSocial is a new beginning with no community. Finding answers to MANY of the early problems will likely not be an easy task. So for beginners your best bet is to just stay with CB. For those more advanced then sure go ahead and give it a try.

I wish JomSocial the best of luck, but for me CB is my platform and that won't be changing.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

15 years 5 months ago #81348 by amackley
Replied by amackley on topic Re:jomsocial or CB1.2? what is better?
I've worked with CB with Joomla 1.early and new with Joomla 1.5 and CB RC3.

I also recently paid and downloaded JomSocial. First, the JomSocial community and support is virtually zero at this point.

Plus, the integration of many, many other components with CB brings me back. CB is seen as one of the core components and standards.

I am now rebuilding my website with Joomala 1.5, new templates, and a lot of new tools. But I still come back to CB. I expect my website will use this current configuration for at least 2 years, updating a few pieces as necessary.

Maybe then I will reconsider, but for now, I see CB as the center of my Joomla User.

BTW, I also like a lot of the JoomSuite materials. But I still come back to CB for the center.

Note. I have dropped Fireboard in favor of AgoraForum, which I believe is developing in the core 1.5 environment faster. It also has a lot of very good user community tools.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn