[SOLVED] Users having trouble accessing subscriber content

13 years 6 months ago #145359 by hglackey
We're seeing two problems more and more frequently--maybe because more and more people have subscriptions to the site now.

Sometimes people can't log in at all. Often, but not always, clearing their browser cache fixes their problem, at least for a while.

Other people have a constant problem: they can log in, but when they click on something that's only available to people with subscriptions, they're asked to log in all over again. Then, when they do, even though they have a valid subscription, they are told they need to purchase a subscription.

So far we've had this happen with some--not all--users with Internet Explorer, and some--not all--users with Google Chrome. Everyone who's complained to us so far has been a Windows user.

I can't duplicate either issue myself (I'm on a Mac, and I've tried Firefox, Chrome and Safari). Another person in our company, who's on Windows 7 & the latest IE, sometimes has the problem where she can't log in at all and has to clear her browser cache. However, she's never has a problem with accessing subscriber content if she is logged in, even if she logs in using the details of the people who are having problems.

I don't know what to do--people are paying for access to content and getting understandably frustrated that they can't get it.

I've got the latest Community Builder, CBSubs and Joomla. Both SEF and caching are off ("add suffix to URLs" is on). PHP version is 5.2.8.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/11/04 17:35

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 6 months ago #145378 by krileon
Does (on a test copy of your site) disabling CBSubs resolve all login issues? Seams like some sort of conflict from a 3rd party extension is jacking up your users sessions. CBSubs doesn't touch sessions so it couldn't be the cause directly (but could be CBSubs conflicting with something else). You'll need a copy of your site to disable/enable as seen fit to find the conflict.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 6 months ago #145388 by beat
Looks very much like a cookies-issue to me.

Do you have 2 (or more) urls for your site ?
E.g. with and without www. in front ?

You shouldn't, as that is not good for google ranking, and should redirect to the "official" version always if people are trying an alternate url.

Is the clock of your server (date, time, timezone) correct ?

Reason is that Joomla cookies are time and domain-restricted for security reasons, and in IE that can depend on the "security level" too.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

13 years 6 months ago #145395 by hglackey
The cookies issue might be it--I'm looking into the www/no www thing right now.

13 years 6 months ago #145444 by hglackey
That did it! Thanks!!!

12 years 9 months ago #172829 by cte2087
I have been slamming my head on the desk trying to figure out why IE was causing this login issue. It looks like it might actually be the www vs. non-www. How can I remediy this? Is this in my server/hosting or is it something I can adjust in Joomla/CB?

Thanks,
CTE2087

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn