[SOLVED] User password encryption

10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #238147 by stevepbyrne
[SOLVED] User password encryption was created by stevepbyrne
I recently upgraded to J3 and am using CBSubs GPL. Some of the 700 users on the system cannot log in, and on closer inspection it seems that it is due to the way their passwords are being encrypted.

If, for instance I manually change a users password in the Joomla users panel, it encrypts the password like this -
9a89a5fb9ea748f74cff272fb9b64861:LrF7iKKpxGM6ujFINY7mtsz9ugmQQdXl

and the user can log in successfully in the front end using the CB_login module.

If I change the password to the same thing in CB users, it encrypts like this -
b8d92492f13ba8ac0efd13b206bcbf65

and the user cannot log in.

Presumably these 2 are using different strengths of encryption and it creates a problem for me on this live site. Any suggestions?
thanks
Steve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 4 months ago #238174 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic User password encryption
This is due to a bug Joomla introduced with its password encryption changes. Please see the below topic regarding this.

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/153-professional-member-support/223367-password-reset-problem-joomla-32-and-cb-191?start=12#236611

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 4 months ago #238183 by stevepbyrne
Replied by stevepbyrne on topic User password encryption
Have tried turning strong passwords off, but if I set a password using Community Builder > User Management, it saves it as the shorter type password, and the user still cannot log in from the front end.
As far as I can see from the link you gave me, giving strong passwords a setting should have solved the problem but doesn't.

10 years 4 months ago #238184 by stevepbyrne
Replied by stevepbyrne on topic User password encryption
Ok, so turning it off and then on again seems to allow everything to work. With it set to off though, creating passwords in CB User Management leads to passwords being set that dont allow users to log in.
Password reset also seems to work only with the Strong Passwords setting set to ON.
cheers
Steve

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn