[#8030] Cb Subs Promotion for a subscription plan

3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #318802 by joomally
I would like to be able to credit a user's account with an amount to go towards the payment of their plans.

My plans are $20/month.
If the account is credited with $10 then I would like the first month to be $10, and $20/month thereafter
If the account is credited with $20 then I would like the first month to be free, and $20/month thereafter
If the account is credited with $30 then I would like the first month to be free, the second month to cost $10 and $20/month thereafter
If the account is credited with $40 then I would like the first two months to be free, and $20/month thereafter.
etc

I'm trying to use a promotion based on an amount in a CB field.
The issue is that the subscriptions are recurring, and I'm not clear whether it would work for subsequent months.

I've used the following configuration for my promotion:

Basic:
Promotion Type - 'Applies to all purchases'
The promotion is - 'A fixed amount from a CB field'
Deduct used amount from CB field once payment is completed - 'Yes'
How this promotion applies to items in a basket - 'Apply promotion amount to all applicable items in order until promotion amount is depleted'

Advanced:
Single payment (and for auto recurring payments subscriptions: First payment amount) - Yes
For Auto recurring payments subscriptions only: Second and following auto-recurring payments amounts - Yes

Is this possible ?

If I use the above promotion, put $10 into a user's 'wallet' by editing their profile as an administrator, and then the user goes to 'index.php?option=com_comprofiler&view=pluginclass&plugin=cbpaidsubscriptions&do=displayplans' and clicks on 'Upgrade' to the $20/month plan, it seems to be ok.

But if I put $30 into a user's wallet (ie more than one month), and follow the steps above to upgrade, then the page seems to hang (my firefox browser displays the error message 'Hmmm... cannot reach this page'). When I then type the main url of my site into my browser, I get the message

"Error - Submitted payment request didn't return an error but didn't complete. Please contact site administrator to check error log."
displayed on the screen.

Checking the error.php file ( in the location specified in Joomla Global Configuration 'Path to Log Folder') doesn't show any relevant messages.

Is it possible to credit a user's account with an amount to go towards more than one payment of a recurring plan ?

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 11 months ago #318835 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Cb Subs Promotion for a subscription plan
You won't be able to do the subsequent month behavior with recurring payments. Very few gateways we have implemented can handle such an account credit. I believe only Stripe does in fact. So such functionality was never implemented as at the time Stripe didn't even exist. You'll be able to discount the initial payment and all recurring payments after it with promotions only (no roll-over like behavior).

It'll work fine for non-recurring payments though since on next renewal it'll just pull from the field again in your promotion.

But if I put $30 into a user's wallet (ie more than one month), and follow the steps above to upgrade, then the page seems to hang (my firefox browser displays the error message 'Hmmm... cannot reach this page'). When I then type the main url of my site into my browser, I get the message

This shouldn't be happening though. It should just make the subscription free, but some gateways don't like that. Have added a bug ticket as needs possible investigation. What payment gateway are you using? Are there any further details about the error in CBSubs > History Log?

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/8030

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 11 months ago #318840 by joomally
Replied by joomally on topic Cb Subs Promotion for a subscription plan
Hi,
The gateway is Stripe
I see this error message in my log:
'stripe Stripe Payment Intents API error returned. ERROR: This value must be greater than or equal to 1. CODE: 400'

I'm fairly the sure the time of the message is when I was testing but not 100% sure.
I can test again if needed.

Thanks

3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #318846 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Cb Subs Promotion for a subscription plan
Stripe doesn't allow recurring subscriptions of $0. I don't think any of the gateways do. You'll have to be careful with how you apply promotions to recurring payments.

I believe Stripe would only support this if the coupon is applied separate from the recurring price using their API, but that's again a API issue that impacts other gateways that don't support this functionality so it's tricky to deal with; basically we'd have to stop supporting some other lower featured gateways to better support Stripe and PayPal and is likely what we'll end up doing in the future. Have added the below feature ticket to consider redoing how payments are sent to Stripe to see if we can better support Stripe features without negatively impacting other gateways.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/8033

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn