Trigger CBSubs Mailer on shared server

2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #325672 by wallytbull
Trigger CBSubs Mailer on shared server was created by wallytbull
On a shared web server where we cannot configure cron jobs, how does the CBSubs Mailer get triggered? In other words, what backend or frontend option does a user need to invoke to cause the mailer to run against configured options?

I understand the options that trigger emails but what are the user actions that cause the options to be examined?

I do see "Url of cron task to both process mailer rules into queue and then to process mailqueue" under automation settings but wonder if some action(s) such as simply opening the CB component will run that?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 8 months ago #325676 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Trigger CBSubs Mailer on shared server
There's no user actions for triggering the mailer. You'd need to visit the mailer CRON URL manually if you can't use CRON. Shared hosting typically allows for CRON. If yours doesn't I suggest changing hosts (e.g. SiteGround. DreamHost, and A2Hosting all allow CRON from within cPanel). You need a reliable host when dealing with payments.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 8 months ago #325677 by wallytbull
Replied by wallytbull on topic Trigger CBSubs Mailer on shared server
Thank you for your quick and perfectly clear response. One solution is to have a menu item visible to a user with the right privileges that links to the mailer cron URL. Another is to create a cron job on another machine. At least now I know. Thank again.

2 years 8 months ago #325678 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Trigger CBSubs Mailer on shared server
Imho, yet another way would be with CB Auto-action with a trigger on an event of your choice, e.g. onAfterLogin and have an action of type Request with the url for CBSubs Mailer..

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

2 years 8 months ago #325679 by wallytbull
Replied by wallytbull on topic Trigger CBSubs Mailer on shared server
Thank you!

2 years 8 months ago #325681 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Trigger CBSubs Mailer on shared server
Request actions are a blocking operation. So depending on how many emails need to be queued or sent it will delay login until it's done. If you take that approach you'll need to significantly limit how many emails it sends within global mailer settings.

Another approach would be to write some custom JS that you can output using CB Content Module to send an HTTP request to the mailer endpoint. This would allow triggering the mailer in a non-blocking way.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn