I need help with Community Builder and am not a tech person

9 years 11 months ago #245483 by Mike Keliher
I have spend lots of dollars trying to get a simple solution for a series of charity websites. The last paid vendor used CB Pro and it has turned into yet another mess.

What I need to do is in words pretty simple:

Have different kinds of sign ups for different people.

The first is professional athletes with charities. We will then take parts of their information and display them in different places on the website. Examples: a page for charity with a list showing charity name, type, hotlink to website and hot link to upcoming event. For now, we can simply show one list. When I do this, however, instead of simply listing the events, it includes vast numbers of empty data fields. One would think there would be a button to flip so the table populated only if data in them , but we can't find it.

The second thing I want is sorts. Once again, I have no idea how to do this.

Thus, my appeal is as follows: is there contact information where I can be in person to person contact with either those who built CB or someone who is a verified expert in all its functionality (those who I have hired have simply lied about their experience).

Next, does anyone have ideas on how to make sure that people can execute before I pay them?

Finally, if any of you are willing to volunteer a little of your time and expertise, I could really use some knowledgeable people to help. So you know I came up with the idea of using free social media to spread the word about charity events because I really thought there would be lots of people willing to volunteer time and expertise. Instead I have been victimized repeatedly by people simply looking to use my lack of knowledge to get them paid. Also, I am 57, I am not familiar with these forums, and if possible, could you simple email me info (I am not sure I will be able to find this again). my name is Mike Keliher, on Linked In I am listed as Innovator and Altruist, my email is mike@casoaks.com

Thanks for any help you can provide.

PS I am also interested in networking with those beyond simple expertise in CB including designers, logo experts, anything of the sort. The end project is already named. It is OneVoiceASNC. It is going to be a global calendar to list celebrity charity events world-wide. The need is this - no matter how much reach a person has joining with others ads reach. My personal interest is in the events that raise money for cancer research. A researcher costs 50K American annually. I helped an event and they raised $350K instead of $150K. That meant 4 more researchers were working to cure prostate cancer. Any of you can be a major help in this because our current websites look like a 57 year old novice created them, which is in fact true.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 11 months ago #245515 by krileon

Have different kinds of sign ups for different people.

Create a Select type field that provides all your profile types you want. Next use CB Conditional to show/hide various tabs/fields based off that fields value. This type of usage is documented below.

www.joomlapolis.com/support/tutorials/107-use-cases/18336-using-cb-conditionals-to-hide-or-show-fields-or-tabs

The first is professional athletes with charities. We will then take parts of their information and display them in different places on the website. Examples: a page for charity with a list showing charity name, type, hotlink to website and hot link to upcoming event. For now, we can simply show one list. When I do this, however, instead of simply listing the events, it includes vast numbers of empty data fields. One would think there would be a button to flip so the table populated only if data in them , but we can't find it.

Now that you have your profile types setup and your conditionals setup you can create a Userlist with a filter on the profile type field so it only shows charities. The fields specific to charity type should be marked Required and CB Conditional can show/hide them depending on if the user is a charity type or not. This stops missing data.

The second thing I want is sorts. Once again, I have no idea how to do this.

You can't do this. CB does not have sorting capabilities for lists. This is something we've planned for CB 2.1 when we're using XML on frontend and have implemented sorting into the API. For now sorting a userlist is hardcoded to whatever you configure for the list. So you could create for example 5 of the same userlit, but each being sorted differently.

Thus, my appeal is as follows: is there contact information where I can be in person to person contact with either those who built CB or someone who is a verified expert in all its functionality (those who I have hired have simply lied about their experience).

We have hourly rates for consultations, installation help, etc.. which you can purchase from your Membership tab on your Joomlapolis profile. However, Joomla and Beyond is going on right now so those services are likely suspended for the time being (we won't be able to get to them until after Joomla and Beyond).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn