need help desperately as people cannot upgrade subscription to pay for current event

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #248908 by IAAF
we have never been able to get our subscription process to work correctly. Could someone please look at this again for us.

Under Global Settings for General plugin settings under Registration settings I have the following set:

show subscription plans at registration: yes
Allow Free registered Users (without subscriptions): no
Create Subscriptions also for free lifetime plans: yes

Should 'All free registered users (without subscriptions) be set to no ? I don't recall ever having changed this and have not had this particular problem before. We have always just created a subscription called 'Free'. I don't recall seeing this option before but we have had this software for a number of years now.

If a person is currently a 'free' registered member without special content privileges, they are unable to upgrade to view protected content.

I also just noticed that I have two people that need to be synchronized - one is the person with this problem. I'm hesitant to do this because of the warning messages - will the system attempt to synchronize all users or just the two mentioned?

or - could this be an upgrade issue?

Using CB version 1.9.1

Setting Value

PHP Built On Linux server1.blairalumni.org 2.6.18-308.el5.028stab099.3 #1 SMP Wed Mar 7 15:56:00 MSK 2012 i686
Database Version 5.5.37-cll
Database Collation utf8_general_ci
PHP Version 5.3.28
Web Server Apache
WebServer to PHP Interface cgi-fcgi
Joomla! Version Joomla! 3.1.5 Stable [ Ember ] 01-August-2013 14:00 GMT
Joomla! Platform Version Joomla Platform 12.2.0 Stable [ Neil Armstrong ] 21-September-2012 00:00 GMT
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 7 months ago #248913 by krileon
You need to edit your plan you want them to upgrade to and first ensure they can even access it by checking the Access tab and ensure view access level and user group is set correctly. Ideally both should be set to "Public". Once done navigate to the Workflows tab and check that your plan allows upgrades. Your users should be able to see it and upgrade to it fine at that point.

I also just noticed that I have two people that need to be synchronized - one is the person with this problem. I'm hesitant to do this because of the warning messages - will the system attempt to synchronize all users or just the two mentioned?

If your users are out of sync be sure to run the sync tool.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 7 months ago #249038 by IAAF
this truly is driving me nuts. Its never consistent. Some registrations work fine, while others can't ever seem to get it to work. I'm sure it is a combination of browser, browser settings, user errors, or whatever, but some are baffling and can't be diagnosed - at least by me.

If I make changes in the back end to the subscriptions - does it possibly effect subscriptions that already exist?

I'm wondering under the Subscription: General plugin settings, if I can change the following:

Registration settings:
Show subscription plans at registration: yes (no change)
Allow Free Registered Users (without subscriptions): no (should I change this to YES???) and then remove the 'Free membership Subscription' - this may be route of problem.
Create Subscriptions also for free lifetime plans: yes (no change)

I just need to confirm that Allowing Free Registered Users - does allow the user to all free content, i.e., their profile and photo gallery, but they just will not have a subscription name or will it say Free Registered Member?

This should be very simple.

We only have really two subscriptions - alumni membership and life-time membership
I created a Free Membership subscription because I thought I needed this in order to capture an account for each member which would provide them access to Profiles, etc. but not to the certain content but maybe now we do not - if we just change 'Allow free registeres users to 'yes'.

But what is killing us with about a third of the people that try to register is that somehow the options for Free, Alumni Member, and life-time member get lost (meaning there is nothing under the subscription tab in their profile- its blank so they can't do anything.

So I have ended up with many users showing a 'blank' subscription and even if I go into the admin and look at it I can't do anything to fix it. What is best way to re-enter the missing pieces? and what possibly causes some users to have this problem. My manager is ready to ditch this for different software but I would prefer to fix.

I really need help. I've tried everything that I can possibly think of but usually have to end up disabling a person's account and renaming the email and username by adding an x to beginning, and then creating a whole new account for them from the admin panel in community builder.

I had to end up removing the requirement for user to have to confirm their email address during registration because too many of these confirmation emails are blocked by provider or they would go straight to user's spam email and user never receives/or sees it, so their account is left in limbo. But even with this, we are lucky if two thirds of the users can successfully complete registration. Is this normal? what is the average rate of successful registrations.

I apologize. I'm just so frustrated.

The users not in sync resolved itself - maybe they were in the middle of registration? don't know.

9 years 7 months ago #249086 by krileon

If I make changes in the back end to the subscriptions - does it possibly effect subscriptions that already exist?

Depends on what you change. Price and Duration, no, but various protections like By URL Part, yes.

Allow Free Registered Users (without subscriptions): no (should I change this to YES???) and then remove the 'Free membership Subscription' - this may be route of problem.

Depends on your needs. If you're not protecting anything with the free plan or you don't care if users are registered without a subscription (since you've free content) then yes I suggest just allowing free subscriptions.

I just need to confirm that Allowing Free Registered Users - does allow the user to all free content, i.e., their profile and photo gallery, but they just will not have a subscription name or will it say Free Registered Member?

Yes, they'd be just a normal registered user as if CBSubs doesn't exist. They won't be able to access subscriber content until they subscribe to one of your plans.

I created a Free Membership subscription because I thought I needed this in order to capture an account for each member which would provide them access to Profiles, etc. but not to the certain content but maybe now we do not - if we just change 'Allow free registeres users to 'yes'.

Doesn't sound like you need the free membership plan in that case. I suggest disabling it and allowing free registrations without a subscription.

So I have ended up with many users showing a 'blank' subscription and even if I go into the admin and look at it I can't do anything to fix it. What is best way to re-enter the missing pieces? and what possibly causes some users to have this problem. My manager is ready to ditch this for different software but I would prefer to fix.

Only reason I can think of that happening is someone is creating users through Joomla user management instead of CB user management or you've a 3rd party extension that allows registration that's bypassing CB/CBSubs. Another case is CB Connect, which directly registers through API and bypasses CBSubs. All those cases would result in users not having a subscription. Another reason could be they have yet to confirm their email or be approved by a moderator. You should be able to edit the users in CB > User Management and give them a subscription if it's actually missing (ensure your plan allows upgrades or you won't see it there).

I had to end up removing the requirement for user to have to confirm their email address during registration because too many of these confirmation emails are blocked by provider or they would go straight to user's spam email and user never receives/or sees it, so their account is left in limbo. But even with this, we are lucky if two thirds of the users can successfully complete registration

That's just common email server spam protection. You should reword your emails and ensure they don't have any spam red flags. I recommend checking GMail standards for this as they're very strict and could give some good advice as to how to structure your emails. Nothing CB can really do about this though.

Is this normal?

Yeah, it's pretty normal. The more popular your site gets the more likely it is you'll be flagged as spam at some point. Only way to be unflagged is to contact the major providers. Yahoo is pretty easy going in this regard, but GMail it's significantly more complicated (took us over a year). The workaround to prevent GMail spam blocked is to use GMail SMTP to send your emails; that generally seams to work well, but no idea for how long.

Reviewing your screenshots on the last one it looks like Access Group isn't set. Edit your plans and on the Access tab ensure "Visible for Group (and above this group)" is set to "Public".

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn