[SOLVED] CBSubs:"Extend" plan duration for existing subscriptions - how to?

8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #280850 by lousyfool
Hi,

If I were asked at any given time in the future to extend a plan's duration for all existing subscribers, how would I do so?

So, conditions:
  • Currently, Plan A is set to "Regular duration = 1 year" now, and has numerous users subscribed to it.
  • Imagine client says he wants Plan A now to be 2 years, with immediate effect, and
  • to affect all existing subscriptions which are active or renewed (but active, anyway), and
  • forget about expired or unsubscribed subscriptions, those stay at what they are.

Would I either

(1) simply change Plan A's regular duration from 1 year to 2 years and hope that all existing subscriptions will be updated automagically, e.g. by expiry dates ending up to be +1 year by a script you've secretly included (yeah yeah, I'm just dreaming... ;) )

or

(2) simply change Plan A's regular duration from 1 year to 2 years, as well as use a query to add +1 year to expiry dates of the relevant subscriptions,

or

(3) create a new Plan B set to 2 years but otherwise identical with Plan A, then shift all relevant existing subscriptions to this new plan's ID and add +1 year to expiry dates - with queries?

or

(4) ... (you tell me)?

I think I know the answer, but just making sure. Thanks.

P.S.: It's clear that in some cases I must change and configure subscribe/renew/upgrade options accordingly.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8 years 3 weeks ago #280859 by krileon
The quickest option is to modify the plan and let it adjust to the new duration on renewal.

The safest option is to copy your existing plan, modify its duration, stop renewals/new subscriptions for the old plan, then have them manually upgrade to the new plan on next renewal so they're more aware of the changes made.

The only way to retroactively adjust their durations is in the database with a custom query on the _subscriptions table after adjusting the plans duration.

Eventually we'll probably add some more management features to the Subscriptions page, but we're hesitant for anything like this as it could easily break renewals if used for example on a gateway that has internal auto recurring scheduling. Regardless it's something we're looking into for a future release and not just for Subscriptions, but better management features in general (it's a bit easier now that we can add Batching to any of our backend XML views).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lousyfool

8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #280875 by lousyfool
Thank you, Kyle.

No surprises here, all as expected. Good to know.

...have them manually upgrade to the new plan on next renewal so they're more aware of the changes made.

Well, not really on topic, but one could argue (very validly, me thinks) that such extension of duration would be even more noticed, and actually be used as an effective marketing tool, if you advertised loudly (per email blast and other ways) that you're now extending all subscriptions from 1yr to 2yrs or whatever, "with immediate effect and at no extra cost!"
Some smart people make this part of their biz strategy from day #1 and initiate it only later when it fits, or when it could trigger a boost... ;)

Like so often, I guess the answer to that one is, "it depends", haha.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn