User List Search Fields Question

7 years 6 months ago #287309 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic User List Search Fields Question

one more question. Why does having the field parameter "show on profile" set to "No" prevent the search field from appearing on the user list search criteria even when the field is set to searchable?

That's because a field that can't even be seen doesn't make much sense to be searchable. The way to have it hidden on profile, but still searchable or accessible with substitutions is to move it to a tab in a not shown on profile position.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 6 months ago #287379 by siala
Replied by siala on topic User List Search Fields Question
the field is used to hide/show other fields on the same tab (using cb conditional) on registration and edit but does not need to be shown when just viewing the profile. i was aiming to use this field during searches to determine if the fields it hides/shows have been filled so you could search on one generic field instead of all the other fields.

for example:
i would have a field that asks a yes/no question like "do you have work experience?". if yes then fill out some other fields relating to the work experience. You could then search for people that have work experience based on the yes/no field. This field would not need to be shown on the profile as all that needs to be shown are the work experience fields.

because of this moving the field to another tab is not an option. is there another way to achieve this?

7 years 6 months ago #287395 by krileon
This seams like a bug to me. We specifically have a parameter to toggle a field for searchable or not so there's no reason for it to be checking profile display. Have added a bug ticket to fix.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/6282

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: siala

7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #287893 by itsjeff
Replied by itsjeff on topic User List Search Fields Question
I don't know if this would be part of the problem, but I had a similar issue.

I had a list of members with their names and contact info, but could not get the search options to appear. This was because the list's parameters had the "Searchable fields" setting as "Searchable fields, displayed ones only." While the first & last name were searchable fields, the formatname was the field selected to display in the list.

You can change the parameter to all searchable fields or specified searchable fields and pick them. Or, you could revise your list to display the searchable fields you wish to allow.

7 years 5 months ago #287911 by krileon
That's not a bug and is working as designed as you can customize your userlist to only display search criteria for the displayed fields, all fields, or those specifically selected..

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

7 years 5 months ago #287923 by itsjeff
Replied by itsjeff on topic User List Search Fields Question
I wasn't saying it was a bug, just a control that took way too long to find and no documentation about it.

Siala may have actually encountered the bug, but I thought I would share my solution for others who might have come across the same cross-up as I did.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn