CB Connect and CBSubs

7 years 3 months ago #289459 by AlexRag
CB Connect and CBSubs was created by AlexRag
I was wondering if its possible to use CBConnect to allow members to register using social media accounts but where CBSub controls access as it normally does.

If so, is there anything I need to configure differently in the plugin?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 3 months ago #289495 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CB Connect and CBSubs
Yes it's possible, but only if you use the pre-fill registration mode for a provider. Within CB Connect under the providers Registration tab set "Mode" to "Pre-fill". This will cause it to fill the registration with as much information as it can (note at this time pre-fill will not populate avatar) for them to do a normal registration allowing them to select a CBSubs plan and it will link their social account to their CB account so it can be used for login. The alternative is to ensure CBSubs is configured to allow free registrations without subscriptions within CBSubs > Settings > Global.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 3 months ago #289582 by AlexRag
Replied by AlexRag on topic CB Connect and CBSubs
Hi Kyle,

The site I have set up sells only one paid plan to register (no free option) so I will make sure to configure using the first set of instructions (Pre-Fill). Avatar isn't an issue as I have it disabled anyways.

I plan to only add Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google. Is the pre-fill available for most or all the social media accounts?

Also, for the accounts that already exist - How can the user sync up the social media account to the existing CB account?

Thanks,
Alex

7 years 3 months ago #289603 by krileon

I plan to only add Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google. Is the pre-fill available for most or all the social media accounts?

The pre-fill usage is available for all of the providers.

Also, for the accounts that already exist - How can the user sync up the social media account to the existing CB account?

They need to first login normally then use the Link button within your CB Login Module. Then they can login using their provider account from the on. Optionally you can synchronize their provider account information on linking by setting "Resynchronize" to "Yes" under the Link tab of the provider in CB Connect.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 3 months ago #289640 by AlexRag
Replied by AlexRag on topic CB Connect and CBSubs

Optionally you can synchronize their provider account information on linking by setting "Resynchronize" to "Yes" under the Link tab of the provider in CB Connect.

I prefer the simplest option to avoid having to explain the extra step of logging in, etc. If I have set the "Resynchronize" to yes what will happen in these scenarios:

1) User logs in using existing credentials and want to sync to a social media account (by the way can they sync to more than one if they choose?)

2) User clicks on one of the social media login links to try to login - My guess is the system will match up email address in the CB account with the social media account to sync them.

3) Once they are synced to one or more social media accounts, what happens to the password they used before? Will they be able to login in using the traditional method if they are so inclined?

Many thanks for the help so far!

7 years 3 months ago #289642 by krileon

1) User logs in using existing credentials and want to sync to a social media account (by the way can they sync to more than one if they choose?)

It doesn't synchronize on login unless you enable that under the Login tab and that's only if they login via the provider account. It doesn't synchronize on Link unless you enable that. Yes, it can synchronize from multiple providers and whichever synchronizes last can override previous data.

2) User clicks on one of the social media login links to try to login - My guess is the system will match up email address in the CB account with the social media account to sync them.

No it will not do this, because that is a massive security vulnerability. You can specify whatever email you want in most of the provider accounts. Facebook even lets you change what email is sent to the application directly in the permission dialog. What this means is I could hijack your account if CB Connect allowed this and it never will, ever. To link to accounts you must login normally then click Link. It will not allow linking the accounts by any other means. This is the only way to ensure they own both accounts, sorry. I understand it's an inconvenient step for some people, but this is a non-negotiable security implementation.

3) Once they are synced to one or more social media accounts, what happens to the password they used before? Will they be able to login in using the traditional method if they are so inclined?

Password is completely untouched for synchronizations. So yes they'll be able to login normally as well if they like.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn