Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Combining Two Websites

• ernienet
  • ernienet
7 years 1 month ago #292763 by ernienet
Combining Two Websites was created by ernienet
One of my website clients has closed down and is merging with another.

Their CB fields are similar, but not identical. I need to import the CB records from the closed site into the other, adding the records from the close website to the gaining website. There are likely members of the closed site who are also members of the other site, so I'd want to avoid duplication.

Would the best solution be to export from both sites and clean up the data in Excel (using .csv format) so that everything is standardized to the fields in the gaining site and re-import them through phpMyAdmin? Will Joomla records be created when I synchronize users in the CB Tools?

Any advice as to how best to proceed will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Ernie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 1 month ago #292777 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Combining Two Websites
Probably best to export both with CB Juice, merge, and remove duplicates manually. Never needed to do this though so I don't know what method would be easiest, sorry.

Will Joomla records be created when I synchronize users in the CB Tools?

No, users existing in CB but not Joomla are deleted. For import/export you need to use CB Juice.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• ernienet
  • ernienet
7 years 1 month ago #292930 by ernienet
Replied by ernienet on topic Combining Two Websites
Thank you,

I downloaded the latest CB Juice and installed it on both sites. The closing site was on CB 1.9.1, so I upgraded it before exporting the list. I expected there to be a few hundred names, but there were only 24! So de-duping was easy enough without having to export the 175 from the gaining site and bother with that.

I did a comparison of the fields in the closing site and saw that they were identical, which made the process of elimination easy enough. There were just 16 names to import ("Add" in CB Juice), and it worked flawlessly.

Why aren't some of the features of CB Juice integrated into CB? It seems that the ability to export the list (with a filtering feature) for direct mail and other purposes would be a handy feature to have.

Thanks again,
Ernie

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 1 month ago #292934 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Combining Two Websites

Why aren't some of the features of CB Juice integrated into CB? It seems that the ability to export the list (with a filtering feature) for direct mail and other purposes would be a handy feature to have.

CB will eventually, but as CB Juice handles it quite well it's not a priority given we've significantly more important tasks to deal with at this time. Eventually we'll have import/export functionality built into our XML engine so any table view in our backend can import/export.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon